Threshold Bastard Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a fairly unique looking Threshold beast:

THRESHOLD Power Amplifier Class A 4000 200 Watt/Channel STASIS Stereo Power | eBay

Front panel is from 4000 amp, chassis looks like a 400, but it's got an "e series" upgrade sticker on it and balanced inputs added. They took the model and serial # sticker off the back of the chassis too. Lord knows what's under the hood. All for the low, low price of $5000...or feel free to make an offer.

I wrote the owner and noted all of these discrepancies and told him/her that they were definitely not selling a 4000, but no response and no change to the auction either.

Jeff

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This or a similar unit has been discussed recently in the forum, the
result being that it was decided that it was a genuine factory updated
unit.

This sort of thing points out why most manufacturers look askance at
updates to older product. I think that Threshold was fairly unique in
doing it at all.

That said, it is likely that this was a unit done on the side by an employee
without authorization and then sold. We had at least one such case.

Last edited:
This or a similar unit has been discussed recently in the forum, the result being that it was decided that it was a genuine factory updated unit.

This sort of thing points out why most manufacturers look askance at
updates to older product. I think that Threshold was fairly unique in
doing it at all.

That said, it is likely that this was a unit done on the side by an employee
without authorization and then sold. We had at least one such case.

Thanks Mr Pass. I wasn't aware of the previous thread. I took a look at that thread and found the interior shots interesting because they aren't available in the ebay auction.

I guess the news here is that it is now being sold on ebay as a 4000 when it is clearly an updated 400...two very different beasts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.