Single Chassis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can someone explain the thinking why a pair of mono blocks are employed and given separate chassis/enclosures. I read somewhere it's to do with cross talk, if this is the reason surely it's easy enough to physically insulate between two circuits in the same box to cut down on this phenomenon?

The reason I' wondering is that I'm contemplating building a stereo, or twin mono amp camp. But wondering if I can get away with a single enclosure for two circuits rather than just one.

Because sometimes monoblocks get big, heavy, and very hot all by themselves. Below are three mono amps, each is 14" wide, 20" deep, 12" tall, and weighs more than 50lbs. Trying to add two channels into a single chassis just doesn't make any sense...

Aleph-XAmps.JPG

Matt - as Dennis and Eric note, the practicality of maneuvering a 80+lb piece have as much to do with the allure of mono chassis for higher power or full ClassA amps as anything.

I recently completed a custom cabinet to house a total of 5 pcs of older McIntosh gear, including an MC7270, all flush mounted in a central open panel. The test run for dry fit worked like a charm, but due to an unexplained machining error on the final build, 3 of the 5 rectangular openings in the panel were a "C-hair" under sized, and needed to be hogged out on site by hand with a rasp. The MC7270 weighs 82lbs - the first time you lift it, but seems to gain 5lbs every time you move it.

The new ACA stereo kit looks like a winner - of course for those wanting to bridge a pair for higher power, then I guess they do become "mono-blocks" .

Out of curiosity, I can't remember seeing weight on the spec list, but I'm sure there are CD players that are more.

Coming from the world of DIY tube amps, sometimes monoblocks are the easiest way to go if you have a circuit that draws a lot of current, or you are using regulators. The weight and fitment issues gets a lot easier if you are only doing one channel.

SS stereo amp can be heavy... the Threshold S/500 stereo amp I used to own weighed in a ~75 pounds (if my memory serves me correctly). Moving it was a chore! A pair of 35-something pound monoblocks would have made my back and arms a lot happier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.