Would the J2 care about impedance smoothness?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know, I should just "suck it and see" though not being British that always sounds lewd to me ...

But would those who know, and they know who they are, think that a J2 would care about peaks in impedance? Always looking for the little things that might add up to something of significance - like lightening a race car - a little bit here and there.

I have never liked the idea of ZOBEL correction with a cap but it seems to me a resistor in parallel with a driver makes sense. I know with compression drivers it can be close to magic so i wonder why not do the same thing with a Great Plains Audio 515ghp 16 ohms? When I do sims it does greatly decrease the big spike in area below 100 hz (this is a straight horn - approx 90 hz) I am thinking of using a 40R resistor - it could not possibly consume much power and the driver needs very little power.

The question is: would the J2 give a damn one way or another? I see the J2 does deliver less power into a low impedance but have no idea if there is any increase into a high impedance.

So would there be a chance of smoother response with a smotther impedance curve? The bonus question is would the J2 be more or less happy with a 16 ohms driver or a 8 ohms one. Only an exceedingly low ESR inductor between the amp and the cone.

I found returning to the the giant amorphous core chokes I got from Dave Slagle and rewinding them with the 14 gauge SOLEN Hepta Litz wire does sound better than my arrangement using a choke between two TOSHIBA complementary buffers. So for the moment, who knows how long it will last?, I think a very good choke sounds better than two very good buffers and a choke.

With a substantial gap the (small) amount of wire required for a 2 mH choke results in a dcR that my multimeter cannot measure and my inductance meter finds less than 0.3 ohms below 1000 Hz..

Funny how we keep returning to things we tried before. High level crossovers sound extremely good when one uses the best quality parts without undue complexity (first order) and an amplifier for each driver. I am using a series arrangement with the SIT1 and the 2441 and T500 that lets them sound like one driver. For a couple of years I was sure "before the amps" was the only way. I feel sure i will change my mind again ...

Since no one seems to think about them, the GPA 515ghp is a fantastic low midrange driver. The 16 ohms version has extraordinarily high BL. Hard to believe one is listening to a 15 inches driver. Articulation with effortless dynamics.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
and yes , as you already wrote ..... why not just trying it :)

besides that , I can assure you that J2 wouldn't mind

also , however that looks wakoo and rarely done , shunting driver with heavy or less heavy shunt can be very useful ....... and I know of one Great Amp Guru , who made damn extraordinary speakers , using exactly same technique

certainly , not entire recipe , but important part of.

regarding 15" mid ...... evidently - there are more fans of approach than you think ......

Should have been more specific, lower mids - 100 to 500 hz. I do remember seeing some Swedish company (I think) that used a 15 inches woofer without any baffle at all as a midrange driver.

I know the J2 would drive it without any problem - just wondered if anyone would want to speculate on whether this could allow it to "sound better"? The amp is specified as putting out more power at 8 ohms than 4 - I doubt it puts out more power at 16 than 8 ...

Yes, I will try it and probably do my best to convince myself I could hear a difference!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.