Choice of amp advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently acquired a set of Energy 22 Reference Connossieur speakers. They are listed as 86db/1W/M. The drivers(2) measure at 4 ohms D.C.R. 18db/oct hi pass and 12db/oct lo pass,parallel crossover.The speaker is listed as an 8 ohm (?) speaker.
I have built 3 clones, Aleph J, F6 and an M2 .My question is given the load these speakers present,what would be the most suitable amp in terms of power.I am familiar with the sound of all 3 amps with my old set of Advents.I understand that the tweeters are really susceptible to damage from clipping and are only repairable with proper parts by 1 person in Nova Scotia at $200.00 each.
My listening area is 22x15 and opens into a larger open concept area.I have one other question. There is talk about "headroom" for amps. Does anyone know what the "headroom" is for these 3 amps?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
F6,M2,J2

forget about headroom ....... that's difference between everything max (amp can squeeze out) and your habitual listening level (demands to amp)

that last thing is hard to judge ....... in fact demands some tinkering and playing with measuring gadgets , so ....... headroom is different for each person ...

The F6 is up and running.Zen's advice is spot on.This amp has amazing detail all through its range.The Aleph was more veiled,the curtain has been lifted with the F6.Super wide soundstage,sparkling highs and tight bass.Anyone contemplating which amp to build should definitely try one of these.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.