Australians - has anyone used harbuch line level transformers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi all,
Has anyone used these guys for line level transformers? There isn't exactly a lot of information to be had online unfortunately, so I'm curious to get any feedback that other members have.

I'm looking for suitable parts for a v-fetron or the schade feedback hockey puck amp... the document describing the input and output transformers is attached. I really don't have the experience to make sense of the descriptors of a few of the specs in the list!

Thanks all for any help you can offer. :)

Attachments

• INPUTOUTPUT_TRANS_May2010.pdf
    142.4 KB · Views: 146
Harbuch make high quality gear but I couldn't comment specifically on their line level transformers.
Maybe send the owner the data sheet for jt123-flpch and ask if he has anything in the ball bark in terms of bandwidth and distortion, otherwise bite the bullet and fork out the money for a Jensen.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'll send through an email and I'll let you know how I get on.

Any suggestions on how to best test a line transfo? I anticipate needing to independently verify the details... my current thought is to loopback into a PC running arta, and seeing how it measures...

I've found a bit on one of the transformers harbuch sells. Rod Elliott has a bit on one in the middle of the below article. Sounds pretty good in all honesty!

Transformers for Audio

Yeah the guy makes great products.
Definitely worth calling him and having a chat, send him a copy of the data sheet and see what he recommends. He may have something even better at a nice price.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Just don't expect the product within any reasonable time frame.
Think months. Several months. At best. If your lucky.

I'm quietly hoping that you're just trying to live up to your username?

Well that's a shame if that's the case. I can see how that would make sense for a one off small order though...

I'll give them a shout shortly and see how it goes.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If I remember correctly line level transformers is one of their specialties, though I have only bought Torroids from them (which are excelent quality!). I think I was reading something on the wall of their office while waiting to pick up a transformer.... but the memory is a bit hazy.

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Custom (or even out of stock) will be a wait. I've been lucky in that they have always had what I wanted in stock, I do remember that they told me a fairly long lead time (for normal production stuff) that wasn't currently in stock. It's not a big operation, and I think that they generally do batches of a particular transformer.

Definitely ring them. They have been very helpful when I have called.

Tony.

Last convo I had with them was the 'winder' had just got back from holidays (didnt tell me that when I ordered) and it would be done that week.
and this week.
and this week.
and this week.
and this week.

Hes also downsizing and about to shift the whole shebang.

I WANT to support locals, but not when they constantly lie.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The thing I'm taking away from this is that if it's in stock, then great! If not, don't even go there...

On an aside, does anyone understand the notation describing the winding? As in is 600ct the same as 150+150? Or then should I assume 150:150 is two separate windings?

It's that blasted 150+150+150+150... what is it and is it suitable for say the v-fetron? The schade amp is easier to source a transformer for...

Last edited:
The thing I'm taking away from this is that if it's in stock, then great! If not, don't even go there...

On an aside, does anyone understand the notation describing the winding? As in is 600ct the same as 150+150? Or then should I assume 150:150 is two separate windings?

It's that blasted 150+150+150+150... what is it and is it suitable for say the v-fetron? The schade amp is easier to source a transformer for...

600ct is a 600 volt winding with a center tap. Not quite the same as 300+300 as you can use the latter as 600V in series or 300V in parallel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.