A-X IP Issues (split from Builders thread)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Back to calling me names again eh........

"Recently Fred seems to have appointed himself Nelson's protector, even to the extent of reinterpreting Nelson's stated position in order to suit his own wishes."

Please........................

I believe in trying to help protect anybody's IP against the mob of opportunist that don't understand or care about the efforts required to develop a commercial product. Until you have done it, you don't have a clue what is involved.

Nelson can look after himself I am sure. What I can't seem to make you understand is that when you start something based on scrutiny and attempts at reverse engineering, you can start (and help to perpetuate) a chain of events that goes far beyond what you might of intended. If you want to go start a thread on active crossovers and your approach is generic enough to be considered something other than attempt to cash in on Mr. Pass's reputation, do it in the solidstate thread. Instead we now have someone looking at selling boards based very closely on his topology and RC matrix. I cannot believe you are so clueless as to what the possible outcome is when you start something like this, not once, but twice! Why don't you post something occasionally that is not an attempt to ride on Mr. Pass's coattails, just to show everybody you capable of it? Go back to calling me names and criticizing my posted advice or circuits, you are less of an annoyance doing that than you are "helping" Mr. Pass by helping to reverse engineer his designs. Go create interest in one of his DIY construction designs if you want do something for the DIY community, that is what they're for.

"with that Kristijan is charging, comparing to Chad Simpson's group pruchase price, I think you may be making too bold a statement on "profit"

HC,
kristian is in clear violation on all counts. He is not managing a bulk purchase but rather he has set up an outfit which sells PCBs for patented circuits that are not his own.
I don't care how nice a guy he is, how he manages his inventory, and how much money he's making the fact of the matter remains that what he is doing is illegal.

Instead of teaming up with HiFiZen for the alephX board at 5 bucks a piece I could have ordered a bunch of boards and did what kristian is doing.

Grey,
shame on you! at least you should remember who sent you presents. ;)
By the way, I think it's pretty clear that Fred posts about intellectual property have one purpose only: to get a raise out of you. Fred and moamps have done much more reverse engineering on the XRV than you did and yet you are getting blamed for that as well. ;)

Gray,

No here, is saying that you have done something wrong, you went through all the channels. It’s not you fault this fellow in China is coping Nelson works.

As for Fred, I have never seen him selling anything he did not design. All that is pure speculative nonsense.

So let all get back to having some fun here

"Fred it's time for lunch"

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
More engineering than reverse engineering

"Fred and moamps have done much more reverse engineering on the XRV than you did and yet you are getting blamed for that as well."

Ummm........ I have posted alternate ways to do a Sallen Key filter and designed my own resistor matrix. I have also put enough information and links on active filters for most anyone who will take make the effort to go roll their own. I do not encourage people to go closely copy what Mr. Pass is doing and design PCBs for that purpose. I have made several post suggesting other approachs to the design. It is easy enough to do your own thing for active crossovers without a slavish copy of the topology of the Passlabs design. I believe Mr. Pass would be in agreement with that idea. Of course I can't take credit for coming up with a name for the design to tenuously associate it with Mr. Pass's
work.

Clearly if Mr. Pass had had a problem with Grey posting his Aleph X
schematic, he would have let him know in their correspondence
leading up to the thread being posted. In fact i do believe that
Grey did hold off on posting the schematic until after the XA's
made their debut.

I'm sure if Mr. Pass did not want the Aleph X schematic posted,
Grey would have obliged.

So if it's OK with The One and Only, why isn't it OK with you Fred?

One other thing, i think that the KIT being offered by DIYZONE is
a step above and beyond what has ever been offered here.
PassLabs needs to protect the dealers who are trying to sell
current product in a region where a complete KIT is being offered.

Actually, I ended up in a rather tight spot on the Aleph-X. A little over a week after I sent Nelson my concept schematic, he kinda casually let drop a hint that I had such a thing going. See the X-series vs. Aleph thread (search for the word "clamor").
Mind you, he did this without warning me, the scoundrel.

Grey

P.S.: Joe Berry, amongst others, was working on the same idea at the same time. He was rolling along pretty well according to the last schematic he sent me, but I don't believe he had a prototype yet. Unfortunately, I got to the point where I quit responding to e-mail in order to have more time to piddle with the circuit. Joe probably thought that I was mad at him or something. Not so. Just burning a lot of midnight oil trying to whip the silly thing into shape. Moral of the story--don't expect me to be very social when I'm winding up a project.
At any rate, it wouldn't have been much longer before someone else got the same general circuit working. I just happened to get done first.

Greetings to Mr. Pass and others...

I *AM* from Taiwan, and here's a few things I'd like to say about this mess caused by DIYZONE.

First of all, I am *NOT* on DIYZONE's defence, they've offended too many people in Taiwan, and now it seems that they want to offend people all over the world.

Mr. Wu (Limin Wu) had said before, his stuff is for BUSINESS, not anything else. So you can take it from him that he does make money from that. He made money by finding the cheapest parts around, and was pretty (in)famous for being the largest seller of humming/viberating transformer in Taiwan. He is all about money, no doubt about it.

We do respect IP in Taiwan, and there are quite a few people working to develop their own unique design as well. It is just that Mr. Wu is not, and does not respect other people's IP. He often boast that his dad is a lawyer, tho I do feel sympathy for his dad for having a son who is such a disgrace to the family.

Ah well... that's my little rant I guess... :p

BTW, I've saw a magazine ad by a motorcycle in China on a Taiwanese magazine... When I saw it, I was shocked a bit... "Hey, that's my goddamn scooter, wait, they watered it down..." After checking a few places... They copied an design that's about 10 years old (out of production even), and glued on designs from various Taiwanese bikes on it... :p

Ah well, checked again on that site...

It is sad that they are so selfish that the do not see the goddamn reason that people oppose DZ from selling those kits without prior notice to the rightful owner of the design... The goddamn reason (I think everyone here knows it, but I'll say it for their benefit) is that those people who released the design might not wish their own brainchild to be pirated. Some might just sit on the design (which is completely their right, afterall, they designed it.) and not letting it into the public.

This reminds me of some discuession I saw before, it was some *** who would like to get source code for a program. However the tone of the guy sounded more like as if he owned the code, and the holder of the code is commiting a war crime or something by not releasing it. Those guys attitude now sounds rather similar to that...

The funny thing is....

If Mr. Wu from DIYZONE had come to this forum and offered a group buy on an Aleph X "Parts Package" for $450USD to work with Grey's board, there would be a positive response.

--- or ---

Mr. Wu could have also offered a complete "parts package" for $450USD plus an optional "not for profit" $5-10USD for the Aleph-X board.

--- or ---

Volunteered to conduct the Aleph group buy, manufacturing, and distribution by partnering with Hifizen or Grey. DIYZONE could have contributed to the design and have contributed the small improvements of well designed out boards and a means to connect them to the main board.

I cannot help but think that if the approach was collaborative with Nelson, Grey, Chad, and this forum, we would all view the situation differently.

Just my $.02,

-David

dw8083 said:
The funny thing is....

If Mr. Wu from DIYZONE had come to this forum and offered a group buy on an Aleph X "Parts Package" for $450USD to work with Grey's board, there would be a positive response.

--- or ---

Mr. Wu could have also offered a complete "parts package" for $450USD plus an optional "not for profit" $5-10USD for the Aleph-X board.

--- or ---

Volunteered to conduct the Aleph group buy, manufacturing, and distribution by partnering with Hifizen or Grey. DIYZONE could have contributed to the design and have contributed the small improvements of well designed out boards and a means to connect them to the main board.

I cannot help but think that if the approach was collaborative with Nelson, Grey, Chad, and this forum, we would all view the situation differently.

Just my $.02,

-David

Sorry, had to quote the whole thing... can't find parts that I would snip off... :p

I agree completely, when one is using someone else's design/idea, it is only fair to notify and aquire agreement from the rightful owner. Instead of viewing everyone else as mortal enemy of their so called DIY projects. IMHO that's very little DIYing, just soldering and bolting parts together. Not that in itself is wrong, but using other's design and brand name without approval from the rightful owner is wrong.

I'm personally re-layouting a small headphone circuit from another designer. Getting prior approval was pretty easy, only requirement is to donate to chairty, which I don't have a problem with... :p My last layout job was a power supply board... man, was this different or what... :p

Well, enough is enough. I am really tired of all of those stupid ramblings
from some anonymous figure from Taiwan.

As far as I know, the Aleph-X offering from DIYZONE in Taiwan is
nothing more than a group-buy. Yes, it was run by a company which
also sells other DIY kits, but for this Aleph-X thing, it is just a group-buy.

It only sells 500 kits, nothing more, one time deal. Since it was
a group-buy, the company even did not bother to make any offer here.
The reason is simple: When the company was definitely being able to do it,
it did not want to give people the impression that they were taking
advantage of Pass'es work by selling thousands of Aleph-X's.
One thing you have to understand is that Mr. Pass'es works have gained
lots of admirers in Taiwan's DIY world. The need for a group-buy is there.
DIYZONE was simply responding to the need, same as what Chad has done
for us here.

The only difference is that Chad is making PCBs only when
DIYZONE is putting all of the parts together as a package.
We all know that matched FETs, case, etc, have been the major headache
to us other than the PCB. DIYZONE was doing these for DIYers in Taiwan
simply as a service.

Yes, some parts can be bad, some parts can be cheap, but, hey,
what do you expect from a US$450 package? If you do not like them,
replace them! As for making money? Well, just do a simple calculation.
Do you think they can make any fat profit out of this?

Definitely people will have a more positive thought on this if
DIYZONE is offering the group-buy here, and will share the
minuscule profit with Pass, Grey, and other related persons.
Yet as I have said above, they even did not want to go this far.
They even did not want to have any conflict with Chad's effort.
Is this clear enough?

Also I believe that DIYZONE had asked for the permission from
Mr. Pass. Somehow they had made things clear to Pass, and Pass was not
really against this.

There are quite a few tiny shops selling parts to DIYers in Taiwan.
The competition is fierce there since the overall market scale
is very very small. I heard that DIYZONE currently was
the largest one, and probably the oldest, most established one.
Naturally it has become everybody's main target.
Everybody else hates it beccause of its practice on importing parts
in volume to cut down the prices. Other companies have a
hard time to survive, especially for those doing mid-range
products, because of this. At the end, you will see lots
of nasty practice, blackmail, rumor, disinfo, etc, anything
you can think of, on attacking DIYZONE, just like those nasty
political fights in Taiwan you have seen on TV. Well, this is just
part of the Taiwanese culture!

Anyway, I have been buying parts from Taiwan, China, and HK, etc,
hence know a bit more about the true story there. It's really not
about IP, it's the dirty business competition there.

One more thing about IPs. Be honest, it is not just the Asian thing now.
Since many design jobs have moved from the U.S. to China and Indian,
lots of design works are actually done there now. Many designs
have been sub-contracted out to design firms there. To make things
worse, American companies are paying rip-off prices for those excellent designs,
and claim that those are all American designs, American IPs.
So who's right who's wrong this time? I know this because we just
opened a design center in Shanghai last month. I have heard of enough
stories there.

As for the handling of the DIYZONE Aleph-X project. I think probably
Pass has a bit misunderstanding here. Probably something was missing
in the Chinese/English translation. From the documents, webpages I have
read, from the very beginning they had repeated this again and again
that Pass owned the patent and Grey drew/finalized the design.
Originally they wanted to put Pass and Aleph-X trademarks on
the case's front panel but after reader voting, they had to change
it somehow, you know, this group-buy thing.

Again, I can not see much difference between a PCB or a kit.
As far as you are not making money out of this, making it
only a one time deal, there is no difference. It's like
you can have a pure Linux OS for sale, you can also have a
computer with Linux installed for sale. Which way is OK
which way is not? Not even mention the DIYZONE thing is
just like a Linux OS plus a few computer parts?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
finneybear said:
Also I believe that DIYZONE had asked for the permission from
Mr. Pass. Somehow they had made things clear to Pass, and Pass was not really against this.

This was not the case. I was informed of this by members of
DIYaudio and by a couple of DIYers in Taiwan. They did not
speak favorably on behalf of DIYZone.

I have just received an email from Mr. Limin Wu, to which I
have yet to draft a reply.

It is totally wrong!
Without permission, you break the law if you resale it with or without profit.

Nope. Actually you missed my point. What I was trying to say is that if you get the permission then it will not make any difference whether it's a PCB or a kit.

Here is another question. What if I have 10 boards from Chad(I do actually, in this case) and ask DIYZONE to prepare other parts for me? Is this legal or not? How about DIYZONE is selling a part package less the PCB?

This was not the case. I was informed of this by members of
DIYaudio and by a couple of DIYers in Taiwan. They did not
speak favorably on behalf of DIYZone.

I have just received an email from Mr. Limin Wu, to which I
have yet to draft a reply.

Well, Pass, definitely you have the final say on this. Yet I just want to remind you that those so-called DIYers from Taiwan may actually set you up for something. Please be very careful on this.

I think the thing is very simple, just as I had said before. Is it OK for me to buy PCBs from Chad then pay DIYZONE to collect parts for me? If it is a no then probably we should not even try to build Aleph-X anyway since at some point, we will have to find a way to get a decent case, for instance?

Another point is that people admire you in Taiwan. They can not afford your machines yet they love your design. Now they saw your permission to build the Aleph-X and asked DIYZONE for help. Chad's boards were even not an option for most of them due to the language barrier. DIYZONE did one single run for the case design, the number was 500. And what the end result was? You have become even more famous in Taiwan, but DIYZONE has become the envy target among kits companies in Taiwan. Be honest, I believe even this Mr. Wu had not expected all of these at the beginning.
The whole thing is totally different from long ago, one Taiwanese company was trying to do a 100% clone of your Threshold machine.

I am not sure whether you have heard of the Rambus patent story. Basically Rambus was leading the computer memory standard org to accept its scheme as the new memory standard yet at the same time, the company was applying the patent for it on the back. When everybody had started to adpot the new standard, Rambus came out and tried to collect loyality from everyone. Everybody is crying foul!

Please think about your next move twice. Either way will ave a very big impact on us average DIYers. Definitely we still long for your next ingenious creation yet at the same time, we do not want to have the worry whether we can build you design.

It only sells 500 kits, nothing more, one time deal.

I just bet that Nelson would like to have an order for 500 amps. You know there was a company called Heath Kit and Dyanco, so tell me what is the difference in what they are about. Does it matter how much they are making. Please don't tell me there are doing all this out of the kindness of their DIYZONE hearts. :whazzat:

BTW, just want to say that I know several languages so
I have the freedom to browse those Asian DIY sites.
I came across DIYZONE late last year when I saw this interesting
amp design:

http://home.kimo.com.tw/asaasmtlin/audio/about_Ultima-1.htm

It was a domestic design done by a DIYer who used to design
asics in Taiwan. The design was inspired by an Apex OP module circuit.
DIYZONE was supporting him and putting out kits for him.
They also have some interesting DAC designs, power regulators, etc,
available, a long list, all domestic designs.
In other words, it's not a copy-cat firm at all.
In the past few months, I had also checked out other
kit shops in Taiwan, and had learnt quite a lot about
the DIY ecology there.

Aleph-X is really nothing to DIYZONE, believe me.
The profit is near to none to them this time.
Last month they announced a new CD PRO2 transport project.
In 3 days, they pre-sold 660 of it! They will
design power supply and a case around the Philips CD PRO2
and sell the whole package for US$450. If they liked,
they could have easily sold thousands of it, make a big profit.
I am pretty sure many here are interested in getting the
CD PRO2, too? And the whole thing is perfectly legal?
The funny story is that those competitors in Taiwan would spread out
rumor saying that this CDPRO2 thing was illegal, you would be
in trouble if you bought one, etc, blah, blah, blah. All try to
make you think DIYZONE is an evil, money hungry monger.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is actually to show you
the interesting design above. There will be a new
complete kit coming out later this year. If you are
interested in knowing more, you may want to contact DIYZONE.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.