Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

IRLB3813 Triode-curve
IRLB3813 Triode-curve
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2015, 06:46 AM   #21
WalterW is offline WalterW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

IRLB3813 Triode-curve
Exploring new devices in simple class A circuits belongs here.... I guess
Old 31st March 2015, 01:46 PM   #22
vdi_nenna is online now vdi_nenna  United States
diyAudio Member

IRLB3813 Triode-curve
A single-ended, mosfets, SIT-curve amp? I'd say it fits.
Old 31st March 2015, 04:55 PM   #23
Dennis Hui is offline Dennis Hui  Canada
Hoopy Frood
diyAudio Member

IRLB3813 Triode-curve
Very interesting...

I guess cascode and a current source would be logical variations to try?

Cheers,
Dennis
Old 1st April 2015, 06:04 AM   #24
martinsson is offline martinsson  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The design of the amp shown on the previous page as I understand it is greatly influenced by Mr Pass work, I guess that's a given for most of you here, but the choise of going with IRLB3813 in this case is Cirlomanens idea, I have not seen it applied in amps before at least, but even so I know the choise was based alot on seeking the triode characteristic that seems so very appealing.

Going for simplicity in the extreme (my fault, I naged him into it) without resorting to bulky and expensive transformers and depletion mode fet's the design he finaly presented me with (but with a schematic dumbed down by me) can be seen here :

Martinsson's Blog - JRAMP

Bare in mind the citcuit schematic was made by a total newcommer to this side of the speaker terminals, me, and as such I did not use standradized component symbols, but I think you get the hang of it anyway, note that the source resistance is changed from 0,5 to 0,75 Ohm.

So the reson for it not being enhanced by cascoding or using a capacitance multiplier in the PS etc. can be contributed to my limitations as a first time out'er in this field, I wanted it to be as simple as possible to build, and Circlomanen did a great job in designing just that, a simple fully functional amplifier platform for me to improve upon and add to as I learn along the way.

Last edited by martinsson; 1st April 2015 at 06:15 AM.
Old 17th April 2016, 04:30 PM   #25
Circlomanen is offline Circlomanen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Since International Rectifier has released a new series of low voltage switch fets, I spent some quality time studying their datasheets.

The IRFP740 part seems very interesting.

http://www.irf.com/product-info/data...rfp7430pbf.pdf

IRFP7430pbf-kurvor.png

You have to interpolate the curves down to to lower voltage Vgs and a device temperature of 60 degrees Celsius (Tj=60C). Just follow the general trend.

I think it is a very interesting device. A cheap way to get triode-like curves without trying to get rare 40 year old Japanese devices.

http://www.irf.com/product-info/data...rfp7537pbf.pdf

There is a 60 volt device with similar curves. Also nice looking curves. compared to almost any other normal switch-fet.

Cheers,
Johannes

Last edited by Circlomanen; 17th April 2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 17th April 2016, 09:18 PM   #26
tordnilsson is offline tordnilsson  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Well.. as always Nice !
Maybe these transistors can be used in the "BAF2015-amp" ?
Old 18th April 2016, 01:06 AM   #27
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

IRLB3813 Triode-curve
I would never have seen a triode in those curves!
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 24th April 2016, 06:38 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

jmf-kurvor.png

Compare the curves from a SIT published by Nelson Pass in his "Introduction to Static Induction Transistors" FIRST WATT SIT INTRO
with the curves from the IRFP7430 part. The IR part might not be as linear and nice sounding as a Nelson Pass SIT1, but I prefer playing with something with much more interesting curves then the normal IRFP-XXX (pentode-curves) but available now for a nice price, then dreaming about stuff that is almost impossible to buy.

Look at the general trend of the curves. Sadly the IRFP7430 is not a depletion-mode device, but this does not effect the sound character.

I guess International Rectifier has been inspired by SIT technology in developing these very fast, rugged and powerful devices. It is a switch fet, and they should be as fast as possible. Every 1/10ths of a percent increased switching performance counts in the very competitive switch fet market today (solar energy, electric cars, battery powered devices and tools, etc etc). The SIT is known to be the fastest solid state device for switching.

Cheers,
Johannes
Old 4th October 2016, 03:16 PM   #29
Pascal Nguyen is offline Pascal Nguyen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for explaining why you are running your "aero machine" with less than 12v

Cheers
Old 4th October 2016, 03:53 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

The IRLB3813 was the first low voltage, high current and high transconductance device I tried.

The IRLP3034 is a much better transistor for single ended simple class A amps. TO-247, more "triodity" in the curves, 40 volts Vds voltage-rating. It sounds much better then the IRLB3813 and seem to have the same character over a much wider range of voltages and currents.

The IRFP7430 is a wild and strange transistor. In a simple no feedback Zen like amplifier with 13 volts Vds and 1.7 ampere current it is like a charging rhino on steroids and crack. It is brutal.
You have to hear it to understand. It is not hifi. It is just to much of everything including distortion.

In the right application (phase-splitter amp) it can sound wonderful. I guess it needs a lot of feedback to tame it and domesticate it enough to something resembling a normal mosfet.

These are fun devices. They do not sound similar to the normal IRFP044-054-140-150-240-250 verity Nelson Pass recommends for the Zen projects.
They sound much more "large", alive and vivid, with a whole other presence and drive. Because of their large transconductance I guess they behave like many paralleled IRFP-150 in the very powerful dynamic and controlled bass-reproduction.

Cheers,
Johannes

IRLB3813 Triode-curveHide this!Advertise here!