Bf862 purchased on ebay - labeled as 2AW2?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The string "2AW" does not in fact appear in the datasheet. After I've posted this thread a search in google for "bf862 2AW" will indeed reveal that this is a genuine code for a part much talked about at diyaudio.

I'd like to think this thread may save a few folk a bit of time. :)

Counterfeit BF862's in circulation - buyers beware.

A word of caution to those buying parts through grey market sources, especially small vendors via Ali Express or eBay...

One would think that small parts like BF862 are too small and inexpensive for the counterfeiters to bother salvaging from used equipment and re-etching with fraudulent laser markings - not so!

I recently purchased two batches of BF862 from two different eBay sellers, and both turned out to be fakes. See my other post about this here: MOSFET Source Follower Headamp

These microscope shots aren't the best... had to hold up my iPhone to the eyepiece, but hopefully good enough to illustrate some of the telltale signs you can look for.

1. package top - note the striated surface & gloss sheen, inconsistent with the normal texture of a factory original package surface. The top has been sanded to remove the original markings, then painted black to try and hide the sanding marks.

2. Edges of the package top surface have a sharp edge, rather than the slight radius normally seen - evidence that this surface has been sanded away. Hard to see in these photos, but more visible directly in the microscope.

3. Note the presence of solder residue on the part legs, which are also clearly bent at angles inconsistent with factory-fresh parts. New parts will always have a very thin plating (usually matte tin) on the pins, never solder build-up! This is a dead giveaway - these parts were obviously recovered from some old recycled equipment.

4. Alignment of laser markings to the package body is somewhat inconsistent from part to part - a respectable factory will have good control over the dimensional placement of their part markings. This is a more subtle indication, but can be a good "naked eye" tell if you see markings rotated or shifted slightly off from part to part.

Attachments

• IMG_9063.jpeg
    IMG_9063.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_9068.jpeg
    IMG_9068.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_9069.jpeg
    IMG_9069.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 200