So I got home by 6pm....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
...and by 10pm, zen-lite was making music!!!

2.2uF film bypass (all I had)
1K pots (box said 5k)
2x 500W halogen per chan
47V rails
IRFP044

I've always wanted to build it, It's surely a candidate to be reworked with top notch parts......more voltage and bias of course!!

Thanks again NP!!

Attachments

• zlite.jpg
    zlite.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Is this a situation where using series pair of electrolytics can give near film performance?

What could we hear by replacing a single 10mF output cap with a series pair of 10mF+10mF, resulting in an effective 5mF but with less distortion?

Does anyone make 4700uF to 10mF bipolar electrolytics with adequate voltage rating?
A series pair of these are supposed to be even better.

BTW, I must applaud the spirit of this thread. I think Papa Pass' foray into the De-lite a couple of Burning Amps ago was an attempt to get the fence-sitters off their behinds and to actually build something without the usual mincing and picking and "is there a kit?" BS. The fact that you slammed this puppy together in the time you did proves his point.

One thing that might be a help for folks looking to use the linear quartz lamps (cheap, compact, and readily available) it to fess up where you got the lamp holders. I found mine on Ebay. The big-box stores in my area don't stock them, though I might have better luck with an electrical supply house. This may be my solution for the 1000W lamps I have coming in the mail, as they are longer than the commonly available 118mm socket.

I have a project in the works for a "Fake SIT" version of this amp that's on the sidelines right now because I'm plucking tastier lower-hanging fruit. One of the things that stalled the project was figuring out a simple way of preventing the amp from exploding the AC line fuse at turn-on due to the cold resistance of the lamp load. This is not such a problem for the De-Lite or a Zen Lite, as the mosfet acts like a current source and restricts the maximum lamp draw - not so for a SIT or phony SIT. I have a solution now, but that amp will take its place in line behind several others.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
where you got the lamp holders

These lights/bases we're bought long ago from bulbamerica.com. I orginally used them for an F2 Lite, I didn't have the right speakers at the time, so I shelved it. I believe the halogen sticks have what's called a R7 or R7s base. You could buy any length base and just cut the metal bar down the center to make it fit any length halogen.

I got the semis for the De-Lite.....now I got bulbs, so it's happenin!! I use a pretty crude softstart for all my projects. Live line gets a CL60 in parallel with a SPST, switch is OFF when powering up, wait a few seconds, then turn the switch ON....adds a step, but it works....haven't blown any circuit breakers......lately:D

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
speed building
Don't know if i'd win any prizes though...lol. Between the power supply, wires all over,light bulbs, heatsinks.....this thing has morphed into a 5ft long monstrosity......surprisingly hum free.

I tried AndrewT's idea. I used 40000uF + 40000uF in series at the output and removed the film cap. It seemed to be able to handle more complex music a bit easier, but I can't say for sure if it was better.

I should've built this thing years ago, it is truly a special amp. Next up....70-80v rails with 1600w worth of bulbs!!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.