Best Power Supply for Pass Labs Aleph (X)Ono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have noticed three types of power supplies for this fine series of phono preamps:
1) Mosfet Output/Lower PS Cap. (8000uF) & as standard for the Aleph Ono
2) LM317/337 Regulator based with higher PS Cap. (>40000uF) for the (X)ONO Clone
3) Possiblly dual 7815 & 7915 configured to create +/-30V Reg ($ >120000uF) for XONO

In your opinion (ignoring the benefits of a dedicated power supply for ech channel as used in the XONO & (X)ONO clone) which configuration is considered the superior regulated power supply?

What the benefits and disadvantages of each configuration in regards to sound quality benefits?

Any input/experience would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

Supply

I used this schematic :)
Super High precision shunt regulator.

Thanks
Anadigit

Attachments

• shunt1.jpg
    shunt1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,069
  • shunt2.jpg
    shunt2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,036
The Ono is not particularly sensitive to the power supply as the MC head amp already has a capacitance multiplier. If you really want to improve things, replace the cap multiplier with maybe one of these opamp shunt regs. But then you would need to do your own pcb-artwork...

Have fun, Hannes

PS: remember to place the regulators always close to the load - a regulated psu in an external enclosure is only a sign that no regulated PSU is needed ;)

PSU XOno - what expirience ?

1) Mosfet Output/Lower PS Cap. (8000uF) & as standard for the Aleph Ono
2) LM317/337 Regulator based with higher PS Cap. (>40000uF) for the (X)ONO Clone
3) Possiblly dual 7815 & 7915 configured to create +/-30V Reg ($ >120000uF) for XONO
QUOTE]

Hi Dan,

some time passed but I've got the same question :)

I build one XOno already for a friend which really could walk a consequent way in terms of parts, PSU etc...

I discussed the PSU section of XOno with Paul Hynes and I bought 4 regulators
PRDC types with regulation of voltage and current. It was quiete costy but the result as always with Pauls regs was stunning and doesn't bear ones questions in mind (can I improve the PSU -.. maybe the regs;)...)

OK but now my question to you Dan or to anyone else of course:

I'd like to build a Xono for my self too, but just a bit effordable in the first step.
- Did you find out Nelson's new 7815 schematics? (guess the small details maybe interesting here...)
- Did you try out some other regulators
? :rolleyes:

Maybe you can share you're expieriences.

BTW for the German Shunty : I believe they had organised a small group buy, a few years before but just in Germany (Forum AAA).

Regards Jochen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.