Semisouth JFET's: What are they good for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Me too think that KGSS is a lot of work, and there is the need to collect the list of odd parts.

The fullsize STAX has around 100pF capacitance including cable.
So at 20kHz the min Impedance is about 80kohm.
The Stax amp with the highest voltage has :Maximum output voltage 450 V r.m.s. / 1 KHz
So if I over design and maintain 450Vrms to 20kHz, the maximum current draw is just 5.6mA rms or 8mA peak.

I'm thinking of a SE fully balanced amp, 2SK170 (parallel a few) input as common source, cascode with single R550 at 1000V Vds, bias current 25mA.
Simple single stage amp?
At least now I see some points of having 1+kV device for diy audio.

Last edited:
Dear ZM,

That "Choky Susy F3 for LU1014's" definitely looks interesting and relevant.
What do you think about using paralleled 2SK170 in place of the LU1014, and SS R550 as the cascode FET? These are what I have too many at hand :p
I'm not sure R550 works well with just 20-40mA of current, but for CG operation maybe low transconductance does not matter.
The Stax SR-404 alone (without Stax amp) looks relatively affordable, cost ¥ 34,400 from amazon japan. With DIY amp I think it will look interesting.
Thanks for offering to drawing exact schematic! I will try to digest your work and draw a schematic by myself and ask for your opinion. More fun that way, right?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Well I ran my Mini-A with adjustable R8, did not lower drain resistor yet on IRF610s, using R100 for output transistor and IRF240 for CCS.
Last time I had it running, it was sounding a bit lean. This time it did not, as I removed the bias resistor, at 68k. Of course, it sounded much better, but with some lean sinks it was running 100c on the transistors. Oops.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ask and ye shall receive.

:cool:

Attachments

• HEADPHONE STAT.jpg
    HEADPHONE STAT.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 821
Ask and ye shall receive.

Wow that was quick! Thank you Nelson.

I'm quite new to the design side of things, but that looks like a long-tail pair differential mu-follower. Let's see if I can understand it right... it's going to take a typical 2V input and pump out 400+ volts for electrostatics so the gain will be high. I guess that the gain is first going to be derived by (source resistor R2 + internal rsistance of the fet Q1) divided into (high R formed by CCS Q3, R8). Then the gain is going to be reigned in and finalised by the feedback formed by R6 and R4. With equal and opposite signal on the other side of the pair. I hope that is right.

I guess that with a CCS in each upper leg there is no need for a CCS in the tail, R1. So perhaps this should be called a 'short tail pair'!

I thaink a pair of electrostatics don't take too much current so if the quiescent was reasonably high the percentage variation through Q1 and Q2 might be quite small which I presume is good for distortion. However if the quiescent were high then the power dissipation (hence heat) would be high because of the elevated voltages involved. No free lunch.

(Humm, well, at this point I think I better learn a bit more about fets before saying any more and sounding too dumb. So I'll hunt out a tutorial or two and get my reading hat on).

Thanks again.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Certainly you can save some money by using the Mosfets
on the top, but the best results I have had with similar
circuits were from a mu-follower and same parts. If you
match and/or tweak the values as the load line characteristics
will cancel pretty well. With dissimilar parts it's not quite as
good.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.