parralleling aleph 30's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We are having a party...and we will be the DJ's....

We are going to have a wall of 3 pairs of the old Advent two way speakers. They will be BI-amped crossing them at around 1100 hz.

I plan on driving the three woofers on each side with one aleph 30 with the channels parralleled. The three tweeters per side will be driven by one channel of an aleph 30.

Does the above sound feasible...

By parralleling the woofers, do I make the impedence too low??? Does parralleling two aleph 30 channels together drive the low impedence?? Do I parralel two woofers together and hook up the third woofer in series???

Attached is a picture of last years extravaganza...the tube amps were built by a freind...we won't have them this year.

The other speakers are North Creek Rythm clones designed by George Short and bi-amped driven by another trio of aleph 3 amps.

trying again

Attachments

• dsc_0019_3.jpg
    dsc_0019_3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 312
Those Advents are fairly inefficient speakers. I know, my college roommate had stacked advents and microacoustic super tweeters.

You have 3 pair of speakers, 3 Aleph amps.

I would keep it simple and use one Aleph 30 per one pair of speakers. And keep them well separated, perhaps with a fan on them for cooling.

Otherwise, use a mega big power amp that can drive say 300-500W into 2 ohms to parallel 3 inefficient woofers. Don't mess with using the Alephs in some odd fashion as you propose, you may get into trouble, especially if a party and booze is involved. :hot:

Bob

By parralleling the woofers, do I make the impedence too low???

Not a good idea for many reasons ;)

Alephs do not like low impedances much, so you get more distortion. Well, you could live with that; however the real problem I see here is that the Alephs are currentlimited; that means you won't get much power out of them.

Paralleling 3 woofers can easily go as low as 1R -

So say your Alephs have 5A peak output current*, that gives 12.5W into 1R, but twice that, 25W into 2R - and it would give 50W into 4R if the amp had sufficiently high rails (otherwise it hits the voltage limit).

So you also loose power by paralleling, not exactly what you intended, eh? :D

Have fun, Hannes

*just an example, seems the current number in the Aleph-manual is not correct.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.