The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Joined 2013
Paid Member
More New Old Stock Sci-fi

Attachments

• clist.jpg
    clist.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 170
May be I'm on dangerous waters, as usual.
Perhaps this is a reply for my friend Stajo, to clear up some things.
My whole family has a clear anticommunist legacy, despite they didn't have any bourgeoisie legacy.
How many times I must have had to sing The Internationale, on school celebrations, when I was young.
How much I hated this, along with USSR's himnus, they were our invaders, if you didn't know this.
The fifth line, at least in Hungarian, always broke my fuse at that time:
"A múltat végképp eltörölni"
It is reversed to english something like this:
"The past must be completely abolished."
Original lines somehow lighter than this:
"Of the past let us make a clean slate."
If we can not learn from past (or our present), we have no future.
I'm afraid, this is the case.
See above, A Canticle for Leibowitz.

...If we can not learn from past (or our present), we have no future.
I'm afraid, this is the case.
See above, A Canticle for Leibowitz.

This immediately reminded me of a paper written by my friend Heinz von Foerster, Perception of the Future and the Future of Perception adapted from his address given on March 29, 1971 at the opening of the 24th Annual Conference on World Affairs at the University of Colorado in Boulder.

It is one of my favorite papers of his, although I have several favorites. It remains as relevant today, if not more so, as it did in 1971.

"This state of affairs makes it clear why I am concerned about perception when contemplating the future, for:
if we can’t perceive, we can’t perceive of the future and thus, we don’t know how to act now."

Last edited:
The tight fisted control of Heinz's work today is completely the opposite of what he believed in and stood for. In his home library he had a copier capable of reproducing about 10 pages a minute. He would meticulously assemble the pages into small booklets that he would then freely distribute to anyone who was interested. All of his presentations were organized in filing cabinets and ready to share as needed.

After Springer published a collection of his works they started selling pdfs of his papers. It's disheartening.