Insulating TO-264 packages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Due to a mixup in my brain, I thought that the MJL21193/4 were TO-247 packages, not TO-3P/TO-264. It seems that proper insulators for TO-264 packages are very difficult to find. Moreover, the TO-247 packaged MJW21193/4 have extremely long lead times (over 2 months at best).

I was thinking that teflon film might be an answer to the insulation problem. McMaster Carr has some nice virgin Teflon film, .002" thick for $1.20 for a 12" x 12" square. At the price, it's certainly hard to beat! I am concerned that a 2 mil thickness would be rather flimsy -I would imagine it would rip or punch through rather easily, like Cling-Wrap. Then again, 2 mil Teflon could be rather stiff - I've never worked with it. Thermal Conductivity for Teflon is about .25W/m-K, or about .3 C/W-sq in for the 2 mil film.

Can anyone point me to some "normal" heat sink insulators for TO-3P packages? Has anyone used teflon or similar film as an insulator? Does anyone see any advantages or disadvantages to using it?

Thanks,

Mark Broker

I can get TO-264 Mica insulators for $0.20cdn each locally here - I've never actually seen them for sale online, though.

With a proper knife, you can usually split one insulator into three or four with little difficulty. :)

(also, I always thought TO-3P was TO-247, and TO-264 was like the "Super" TO-3P (OnSemi refers to it as TO-3PBL)

It would appear you are correct about the size.... I've never worked with flat packs before. However, OnSemi only lists TO-247 on the MJW components, not TO-247 and TO-3P. Siest la vie. :rolleyes:

I live in poe-dunk Wisconsin. The only local electronics store is Radio Shack unless I want to drive a half hour North. But Radio Shack does have this nice 4% silver solder Fred was talking about.... ;)

I've pretty much decided that I'll buy the teflon and test it out. The very worst that happens is it doesn't work, I fry 6 free output devices, and resume the hunt for mica. :cool:

Thanks,

Mark Broker

Hi!

Check digikey for something called a sill pad. They are supposed to be better than the mica/silicone grease combo. I've only used then a little bit, but they seem to work well. It's nice to not have to deal with grease, but they supposedly are 50% better at conducting heat out of a device...

Example digikey part number...
BER178-ND

They are a little spendy, about $1.00 each! But worth it, Since transistors are usually more expensive!

Dan

Yes, Newark also has some kapton reinforced rubber insulators for about US$.50 each.... In the wrong size, of course. :rolleyes: I do try to stay away from Digikey whenever possible, since they really tend to screw the little guy moreso than other catalogs.

I asked a EE at work today (I am more of an ME by training and education) about local electronics shops. Apparently there's one a couple miles north of my apartment, and they carry Mallory and CDE caps :) Maybe they can help me :)

ThingyNess, thanks for the offer. Since we're trying to set this up as a future student project, I'm attempting to find long term sources for all parts. McMaster-Carr sells .004" thick mica sheets for a good price (~US$5.70 for a 4"x8" sheet). Looks rather tempting, also :)

Later,

Mark Broker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.