advantage to wiring 2 or more capacitors parallel in a simple first order crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
is there any advantage to wiring 2 or more capacitors parallel in a simple first order crossover?

For example, My xover calls for a 12uf paper in oil cap..

i could buy 1 12uf cap, or 2 6ufs or 3 ufs...

is there any advantage sonically from running the in parrallel vs as one biggie?

thanks

It's slicing the big cake into smaller pieces, then wiring them back together again. Where would the gain come from?

However, you could use a big electrolytic with a smaller value decent cap across it. This matters if you need 300uf and a wife simultaneously. It seems that the decent cap will still make a difference, but it's a recipe I don't really understand as I would like to.

Some other things to consider, as the capacitance value will be the same in both cases. It would be interesting to know why you want paper in oil ? For a given design, and capacitor type I don't think the sonics would differ.

1) often you can "build" the exact value cap that you need from more common smaller values and often its cheaper (BTW I think that was implied in the previous wife reference :) )

2) the larger cap has higher parasitics (resistance, inductance) so the smaller ones often perform better with increasing frequency as you're putting the parasitics in parallel as well (BTW I think that was the inference of a small cap across a big one).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.