AMEK Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, I need help with this one. I am repairing an AMEK psu that is for a Scorpion with Uptown Automation. It was thrown out because of a failure and I just had to scoop it up.
Transformer and rectifiers check out fine.
The failure was that two electrolytics exploded in such a way that the un-coiled metal film shorted to the case of the tip32 driver on one and to 0V on the other.
Attached is a schematic that is basically the same, except that both rails use the LM338/2955 and rails are rated for 10A. The caps that went supernova are C4, and one that isn't in the schematic- it is C10 on the pcb. It's across the rail at the output connector and bypassed with a small tantalum cap. Both lytics are 10uf 35v.
The unregulated rails are only ~28v so it wasn't over-voltage if the reg failed. Any ideas as to why those two caps would have blown? Thanks!

PS, is it possilbe for the TIP32 to measure a few ohms in any test lead configuration while in circuit as the pass driver?

Attachments

• original-power-supply.jpg
    original-power-supply.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 521
Age is probably the primary contributor to electrolytic failure.

As these dry out with age and use, the ESR rises and increases the heat rise in the capacitor. This problem feeds on itself until the smoke is released.

My advice is to wholesale replace everything past the rectifier. The parts are relatively inexpensive(< $20 total).

Do you have the console as well?

Hi testlab, I was hoping age was th culprit as it's an easy fix to recap it. Both caps are on the V- Rail side and I thought it strange that both went together. Unless, the first went and no one noticed until the second went.
The console is still around. Know someone that might be intersted?

testlab, I will have to look at it which means digging through all the old consoles no one uses anymore. As mentioned in the first post it does have uptown automation, v1.0 I think.
We're getting a first national tour out the door tomorrow so it might be early next week. I'll will back to you.

I believe the + Rail was rated at higher current for meter lights, indicators, etc. On the larger PSU's, the rails were both the same rating.

How many channels is the B2? That will give a rough estimate of current draw. The psu in the posted schematic was good for at least 24 channels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.