Attaching alligator clips to a speaker cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I would like to use a speaker from one amp and the amplification of another. I need a cable that runs 1/4" -> speaker clips or alligator clips to complete my mission. Can I buy a commerical cable like this or would I need to make one myself? If I need to make one, is there a document or picture anywhere online that will help me make the correct connections?

Thanks for your help!

John

johnmka said:
I would like to use a speaker from one amp and the amplification of another. I need a cable that runs 1/4" -> speaker clips or alligator clips to complete my mission.

Hi John, welcome to the forums.

are you trying to get a speaker that has a 1/4 phone plug (usually pro gear) into a home amplifier?

Does the plug have to stay on?

Sorry guys! Let me clarify..

I'm a guitarist. I'd like plug my guitar into my vintage Fender amplifer, which has a 1/4" speaker out. Instead of going into its 10" speaker, I'd like to run and attach a cable to a 12" speaker in a newer Fender amp I have. With both speakers, they have the positive and negative tabs on the back of them that sliding clips are attached to on one side of the speaker cable.

Take a cable that already has a 1/4" connector on one end, then hack off the other end to expose the two wires inside.

Get some crimp on connectors for the tabs that hook up to the back of the driver in the speaker cabinet. You will want to disconnect the speaker cable that's already there. I don't think it's healthy to drive the output of one amplifier into the output of another, even if the other one is turned off.

Be sure to securely attach the cable to the cabinet of the speaker, you don't want to be yanking on that connection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.