best metal film resistors from DigiKey?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Silver leaded Vishays?

Can Texas Components manufacture silver leaded Vishays? The answer, as I read it, is a qualified yes. Here's how their engineer answered my question whether they can supply silver leaded unencapsulated S102Ks:

The answer is no. The resistor elements we rec'd as raw mat'l from Vishay are already done in covar tin plated. If you tell us more about the aplication and future volume, we may want to do that for you and all the ones who require it.

There it is.

Can anyone tell me what Covar is?

Edit:
Covar evidently is iron-nickel-cobalt.

I found the listening tests linked earlier in this thread fascinating, especially the relatively poor results for a Corning 2% resistor (carbon films were better ?!!). If I recall correctly, the Corning parts are made with a different technology than the ususal metal film resistor, utilizing a tin oxide coating on a glass core, rather than a metal or cermet film on an alumina core. This probably accounts for the observed sonic characteristics. I had installed some 1/2W sized 20K 2% Corning resistor as law-fake shunts for some 100k pots for use as volume controls in a preamp project I have in the works, but I'm now looking to replace them with some Mepco or Dale parts I have on hand. I'm also going to snap a couple of CGW RN55 resistors in half to find out how they are made. If they have ceramic cores, well and good. If they are glass inside, I'll thing twice about using them in sensitive applications.

good night

panasonic is producing very nice components like the
fc & fm series electrolitic caps that performs much better than we expect.
for resistors ,they are very reliable ,nice sounding without coloration and is economic compared with the performance.

thanks
richt

I believe the CGW (Corning Glass Works) resistors of yore did indeed use a glass substrate. I don't see why this would count against them. Seems to me that the resistive element composition and layout (e.g. non-inductive patterns) would be more of an issue.
I have begun using Caddock resistors, but their cost keeps me from using them in all positions in all circuits. In most other places, I use 1% Dale, but I'm also trying to work my way through all my older stock of 2% metal films, so sometimes they creep into non-critical parts of circuits.

Grey

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I believe the CGW (Corning Glass Works) resistors of yore did indeed use a glass substrate. I don't see why this would count against them.

My thoughts exactly.....
About twenty years ago the Cornings were viewed favourably among "insiders" especially where 1W+ resistors were needed.

Mine were usually sourced from RS Components in the U. K. of Margaret T. (in those days) and were presumably made by Corning in Ireland...
For some obscure reason I wouldn't know where to get them from nowadays but whish I could.

Not surprisingly, with all the digital rubbish flying about, carbon comp (AB) and carbon film resistors are back de rigueur in audioland with their rather soft, forgiving tone.
Note that carbon film (not the same as carbon composition) resistors have some advantages technically where you'd ideally want a resistor with low self-inductance.
These show much of the sonic treats of the carbon comps without the disadvantages as temp. drift and Johnson noise.

Best known audiophile brands are Riken and Kiwame, both made in Japan.

Cheers, ;)

My point about the Cornings was that if the resistor had a glass core, it was probably made using the tin oxide resistive element. This is what would contribute to sonic coloration, not the glass substrate in itself. It looks like this construction was limited to the larger size resistors - 1/2W and above. I just finished snapping a couple of CGW RN55 resistors in half, and they used a conventional alumina substrate, so they most likely used a more conventional metal film element rather than the tin oxide. BTW, the tin oxide technology is used to deposit a transparent conductive film on glass for things like LCD monitor screens and readouts. The tin oxide film is surprisingly robust. Quite a few years ago, I did some gross operpower tests with a few different technology resistors to see what would happen. Predictably enough, a carbon comp resistor went up in a huge ball of flame, seeing as there was plenty of stuff to burn. Carbon film resistors made smaller balls of flame. A Corning tin oxide power resistor glowed a cheery yellow-orange - I got scared and turned off the supply I was using for the test before it could catch something on fire.

fdegrove said:
Mine were usually sourced from RS Components in the U. K. of Margaret T. (in those days) and were presumably made by Corning in Ireland...

In those days i went shopping for Belfast sinks in England
(square white ones).
The ones sold in good old England were filthy expensive and made in France.

But still referred to as Belfast sinks, Maggie was such a peach.
:clown:

Maybe someone here tracked the destination of the original Belfast's ?

I ordered some Vishay VSH bulk metal foil resistors
from Michael Percy; they're $3.75 apiece, seem to
measure well within .1% of the marked value, and can be
mistaken for minature ceramic bypass caps.

Vishay doesn't have the parts listed on their product
page, but I managed to snag the data sheet a while back.
They may be the best resistor type available, certainly
their very low voltage coefficient, noise and thermal
drift seem to recommend them. The price for this particular
type is not outrageous, though I won't be using a lot
of them.

Hope the attached scan is not too dark:

Attachments

• vishayvsh.jpg
    vishayvsh.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,220
Draloric .1% .25% .5% Resistors

Has anyone used these? They are made in Germany. The Vishay Group just bought them out and Partsconnexion.com got in 427,000 in 360 values. Supposed to be an excellent resistor for high end audio?

I took the plunge and ordered 1025 in about 30 values of the .1%

I replaced some metal film 1% in my Westlake HRX Crossover last week with RN60 1/4 watt 1% Vishay Dales and hated the results. The high frequencies were harsh. Thanks god I only did about 20 per filter board and saved the old ones. I very quickly switched back. I was shocked at the results.

For those not familiar with the Westlake HRX, it is a high end 4 -way electronic crossover for the HR1 Monitors of which I have a pair.

Ken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.