Is this a varistor?

Found this in a speaker crossover HF section, am i right in assuming its a varistor? And can anyone decipher its value from the markings?

The odd thing is only one speaker had it which has me curious. Kef were known for tightly matching part tolerences so i am wondering if it was added for a bit of resistance rather than for protection :confused:

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    691.9 KB · Views: 141
Thanks guys, looks like a poly fuse it is. Measures ~.2ohms, still curious as to why its only in one speaker, and not listed in the crossover schematics. Its located between the 3.3uf and 4.2uf paralleled caps and the rest of the circuit.

Attachments

• 104-2.png
    104-2.png
    193.5 KB · Views: 94
It looks like (see attachment) KEF added the PolySwitch as a later revision to protect the tweeter.

It is not included in the earlier crossovers.

You may have an "in-between the revision" pair of crossovers!

Provided you are not going to overload your tweeters, I suggest the protection device would best be removed.

Attachments

• KEF PolySwitch.jpg
    KEF PolySwitch.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Nice find on that photo, confirms it is 100% factory fit then. It's gone now, i won't be driving these anywhere near their limits so they are just not needed. I have just competed the fun job of taking the tweeters apart and replacing the ferro fluid so they should be good for another 30 years ;-)

Thanks for the help...