Is UTSource a reliable vendor?

I know this has been asked before, but because of the current semiconductor shortage, I'm in need of repair parts for the shop. I see thay have suffifienct guantities of new AOT and IRFB parts which I can't find through the domestic vendors.

If not UTSource would you recommend any other vendors?

It took me a few minutes to find out who UT Source are and where (USA ) and according to their website they deal with the "military/aerospace " but no links to check this out --15 years in business ?

I think what you are asking do they import from China etc or is it homegrown products ?

I have dealt with the big USA companies --no problem .

Some information says quote --"they are a "professional purchaser " but the company is a holding company and they definitely "fly the flag " in their advertising --aha ! they say they "do business with China" , sort of conflicts with "Old Glory " adverts.

Trust pilot ( UK public website for comments on businesses ) gives it 4.5 stars but several guys say ( their words NOT mine ) --1 star --quote " they sell fakes " and "not trustworthy " .

Take out of that what you will and maybe the guys here think its tops but I will stick with the big --and reliable USA big boys .

It could be that part of the business is picking up factory closure lots, or surplus lots.
That could be part of the source of odd parts, which may not be best quality.
And to get top dollar for an odd item, nobody will say they got it from a business closure.
Stick to regular sellers, but you have to decide about the risk when dealing with a new source.

And do a whois search on Google, there are sites like Alexa and others who will tell who runs that particular domain, along with the contact details and physical addresses of the entities owning and operating that website.

That may add clarity to your decision to deal with that entity.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The problem with UT source and most Chinese sources is the origin of the semis. You may order say, Sanken LAPT power types and you get perhaps good quality ISC replacement types with the same part number but definitely not LAPT technology because the sound quality is just wrong. 'Same sort of problem with the highly sought-after 2SK170BL or GR JFETs. i.e. you order a specific type and grade but you get something sorta close but no better than any other similar generic which, had you known the specific details in advance, you could have bought for even less from other platform sellers.

Technically speaking, the parts you get will most likely work OK in your application but the very reason you went to lengths to get the specified type, won't be satisfied with the generic type that may only meet the general specs of the first couple of datasheet pages. You'd need a semiconductor curve tracer and probably even more sophisticated lab. instruments to prove the critical differences but once you've wasted your cash, its all too late to find that your precious original semis were always going to be unobtanium anyway.

FWIW, the part number of Japanese transistor types was originally assigned by JIES and unique to the manufacturer as well as the specification, so if you ordered 2SC1815BL from authorized distributors for example, you received only genuine Toshiba 2SC1815BL. See url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIS_semiconductor_designation[/url]. and references. Nowadays, just about any and every manufacturer uses and abuses those part numbers and assigns them to anything that meets the buyers spec.

So, the parts you receive from UTS may well fit the general spec and in my experience they are reliable in that but it's about the same deal with many suppliers offering generics and occasionally cheap NOS parts, whether from Asian sources or anywhere else. As a matter of interest, I have received several packages of semis from UTSource over many years and but only a couple of items, as far as I can tell, were genuine types. Still, at least half were close enough to original spec. for my purpose. The rest I just shelved and wrote-off to experience :(

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It took me a few minutes to find out who UT Source are and where (USA ) and according to their website they deal with the "military/aerospace " but no links to check this out --15 years in business ?
Take out of that what you will and maybe the guys here think its tops but I will stick with the big --and reliable USA big boys .

That would be sage advice if the USA big boys manufactured, stocked or sold the obsolete Japanese semis we are probably seeking. Let's just say that on principle, the big boys don't sell obsolete parts for spares and that's where the little boys and imports come in. I couldn't say whether there is any relationship between the UTSource Ebay entity and your US company reference but given their Ebay offerings, I doubt they would have any formal relationship with military, aerospace or other high rel. end users.

The Ebay store has operated as a Hong Kong based platform seller with links and a second supply location in mainland China plus warehouses in 8 countries apparently, for up to 15 years now. It would seem though, that DIYs with our small quantity needs, are just referring to those Chinese bases that deal in consumer and industrial spare parts, like so many other on-line sellers. https://www.ebay.com/str/utsourcestore

Ian I got through to the main USA headquarters website and in big indicators along the bottom of the web-page they make a big deal out of it listing at each advertising bubble all the organisations they deal with including aerospace/ military etc .

What you maybe missed is my comment on it being a HOLDING company apart from limited liability they own various versions of the same titled business each one independently run as far as financial loss is concerned but the head organization can fire the whole board --if they want.

Amazon , I think about a year ago because of scammers on its website announced a big rules change because they were being sued for loss in the USA , they separated liability and made Amazon Market Place independent while they say now ( to get by US legislation ) we just make Market Place function any loss is down to the independent operators .

This made big news a while back but it gets Amazon out of legal liability unless you deal directly with Amazon not the Marketplace.

Online companies protect their profit as does UT Source.

Domain Name: UTSOURCE.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1566436071_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.epik.com
Registrar URL: EPIK - Cheap Domain Names, Hosting, Domaining & more!
Updated Date: 2020-09-01T15:10:11Z
Creation Date: 2009-08-21T18:50:42Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2030-08-21T18:50:42Z
Registrar: Epik Holdings Inc
Registrar IANA ID: 617
Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4253668810
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Privacy Administrator
Registrant Organization: Anonymize, Inc.
Registrant Street: 1100 Bellevue Way NE, Ste 8A-601
Registrant City: Bellevue
Registrant State/Province: WA
Registrant Postal Code: 98004
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.4253668810
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email:
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: Privacy Administrator
Admin Organization: Anonymize, Inc.
Admin Street: 1100 Bellevue Way NE, Ste 8A-601
Admin City: Bellevue
Admin State/Province: WA
Admin Postal Code: 98004
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.4253668810
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email:
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: Privacy Administrator
Tech Organization: Anonymize, Inc.
Tech Street: 1100 Bellevue Way NE, Ste 8A-601
Tech City: Bellevue
Tech State/Province: WA
Tech Postal Code: 98004
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.4253668810
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax:
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email:
Name Server: NS3.EPIK.COM
Name Server: NS4.EPIK.COM
DNSSEC: signedDelegation
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/

Tools

utsource.jpg

Available TLDs

The following domains are available through our preferred partners. Select domains below for more information. (3rd party site)

Taken domain.
Available domain.
Deleted previously owned domain.
UtSource.com View Whois UtSource.net View Whois UtSource.org View Whois UtSource.info View Whois UtSource.biz Buy Domain UtSource.us Buy Domain

Above is from a whois search, an easy enough thing to do.

Basically it seems they are a marketplace for electronics goods traders.
Anonymize provides anonymity services.

You are dealing with people behind layers of privacy.
Bear this in mind.

All the tech support and admin rights are hidden, as in care of Anonymize, which is a hosting service. So the real owners are not really traceable.

It also said somewhere that their IP address changed 38 times in the past 16 years...

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Anonymized WHOIS is now standard for almost all DNS services. Spam to DNS addresses is overwhelming.

"Floaty" IP numbers are not normally a sign of bad business. Since the world is out of classic IP numbers, ISPs play games to get best use of the numbers they can get. (However my home IP, 'dynamic', has not changed in 3 years....)