Increase resistors wattages by combining them ...any reason why not to? (tube amps)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

some resistors in tube amplifiers need to be able to handle some higher wattages, as you know. Is there any reason, why I shouldn't combine resistors to increase their max. power values? Or doesn't this create any difference or dangers and I don't have to buy the whole range of high power resistors of any value to be able to experiment at home without waiting for ordered parts all the time?

Thank you!

poppy

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,

some resistors in tube amplifiers need to be able to handle some higher wattages, as you know. Is there any reason, why I shouldn't combine resistors to increase their max. power values? Or doesn't this create any difference or dangers and I don't have to buy the whole range of high power resistors of any value to be able to experiment at home without waiting for ordered parts all the time?

Thank you!

poppy

Do you know how to calculate the equivalent resistance from putting two or more in series or parallel? And how to calculate the equivalent power handling when the resistors are not equal?

Jan

Early solid state Television power supplies used a 270R 1W resistor from the 340volt HT to start the power supply oscillator. They used to use a 150k and 120k in series. Both rated at 1/2W and the higher valued resistor used to fail first because the inadequate wattage of the 150k resistor.
Be careful when deciding specific values.
Resistors in parallel just add the power ratings but resistors in series be cautious. The higher value resistor dissipates more power than the lower value. (Kirchoffs law) Isaac Physics

Early solid state Television power supplies used a 270R 1W resistor from the 340volt HT to start the power supply oscillator. They used to use a 150k and 120k in series. Both rated at 1/2W and the higher valued resistor used to fail first because the inadequate wattage of the 150k resistor.
Be careful when deciding specific values.
Resistors in parallel just add the power ratings but resistors in series be cautious. The higher value resistor dissipates more power than the lower value. (Kirchoffs law) Isaac Physics

In parallel, they also won't dissipate evenly unless they're the same value. The smaller value in this case will dissipate more as it will carry more of the current.

I don't like to put resistors in parallel to achieve a higher wattage dissapation.

If one should fail, the wattage dissapation of the other could increase dangerously.
Hm, that shouldn't be true in most applications. The voltage drop across the remaining resistor may increase, if there is a load in series, but in that situation, the current flow will also decrease.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.