Unconnected CT transformer current rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been trying to figure this out, but can't seem to find a straight answer:

I have a 265v CT transformer rated at 240ma. I want to leave the CT unconnected and connected the 265v into a choke loaded FWB. My question is, how much current can I draw from the transformer? Would my current rating be cut in half or will it still be 240ma?

Been trying to figure this out, but can't seem to find a straight answer:

I have a 265v CT transformer rated at 240ma. I want to leave the CT unconnected and connected the 265v into a choke loaded FWB. My question is, how much current can I draw from the transformer? Would my current rating be cut in half or will it still be 240ma?
Not too clear: is it 265V AC end to end , 132.5VAC each half, designed to be used with 2 diodes in a full wave rectification scheme for 187VDC +V @240mA OR a 265+265VAC to get 375VDC , still @ 240mA?

Here is a pic

Here is a pic

Attachments

• IMG_20200704_133920668.jpg
    IMG_20200704_133920668.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 89
The use or non use of the center tap does not simply equate to half or full available rated current. The bridge is more efficient than the center tap circuit and will give closer to total rated VA than the center tapped circuit. In terms of transformer utilization factor the bridge has a factor of .812 while the center tap circuit has a factor of .693.

For a choke input supply, the bridge has higher current and lower voltage while the full wave CT has lower current and higher voltage. But the bridge is still more efficient permitting you can draw more watts (VA) from the transformer than you can with a full wave CT circuit.

Of course other factors apply in power supply design such as tube or solid state rectification, diode voltage drops, drops across the chokes etc.

You will be safe in drawing 150ma from that transformer.

Thanks for the response, yeah sometimes I just need a sanity check lol

I will probably go with a hybrid rectifier using 3b22 and SS diodes. The 3B22 has turned out to be a wonderful rectifier, and one that I plan on using more in the future.

The circuit consists of 6dj8 interstage transformer coupled to 6e5p in PP. I plan on running the 6e5p at 30ma each at idle.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.