Carbon material cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I noted above, per their own old website, Van den Hul's LSC is comprised of 5.5 micron carbon fibre strands insulated with an unspecified 0.25 micron layer. They don't use it as a dielectric, they use it as a conductor, either by itself or as an addition.

That`s consistent information. We, including me, should use "dielectric" meaning "nonconductive".

Unlike metals, carbon is a great material to be used in audio. High density, highly reactive materials exhibit high distortion, unfortunately, it is hardly possible to skip metals entirely without renouncing desired conductivity.
Dielectric materials serving as an insulator cause distortion, coloration and signal loss. Teflon has advantageous properties.
Tin has lower conductivity than copper, silver has higher conductivity than copper.
In tinned copper wires, the skin effect is reduced while silver coating has an inverse effect. (I still use silver plated copper wires with PTFE insulation).

Oddly metal wire-wound and metal foil resistors are the most linear known, which doesn't support your argument about "high density, highly reactive materials".

The skin-effect matters at high frequencies, for audio a plating layer is too thin to make any difference as skin-depths are measured in mm. Silver plating at microwave frequencies is another matter as skin-depths are of the order of microns in that regime.

Oddly metal wire-wound and metal foil resistors are the most linear known, which doesn't support your argument about "high density, highly reactive materials".

The skin-effect matters at high frequencies, for audio a plating layer is too thin to make any difference as skin-depths are measured in mm. Silver plating at microwave frequencies is another matter as skin-depths are of the order of microns in that regime.

Wire wound are often wound bi-filar anyway to cancel out inductance.

Unlike metals, carbon is a great material to be used in audio. High density, highly reactive materials exhibit high distortion, unfortunately, it is hardly possible to skip metals entirely without renouncing desired conductivity.
Dielectric materials serving as an insulator cause distortion, coloration and signal loss. Teflon has advantageous properties.
Tin has lower conductivity than copper, silver has higher conductivity than copper.
In tinned copper wires, the skin effect is reduced while silver coating has an inverse effect. (I still use silver plated copper wires with PTFE insulation).
I think that many (if not most) members of this forum, would have the opposite viewpoint.

That`s consistent information. We, including me, should use "dielectric" meaning "nonconductive".

Unlike metals, carbon is a great material to be used in audio.
As resistive material? Yes.
As conductor? NO
High density, highly reactive materials exhibit high distortion, unfortunately, it is hardly possible to skip metals entirely without renouncing desired conductivity.
What is a "highly reactive" material?
Pure Soium?
Chlorine gas?
Nitric acid?
Dielectric materials serving as an insulator cause distortion, coloration and signal loss.
Where do you pull your wild unbased statements from?
Teflon has advantageous properties.
For certain uses, yes.
Yes, so what?
Irrelevant at Audio frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.