Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Resistors - Mundorf Supreme - very disappointing
Resistors - Mundorf Supreme - very disappointing
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2019, 02:12 PM   #21
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

really...solder joint "break in"...come on

at low impedance trimming levels with small changes in resistance can have a pronounced effect but repeated results are hard to come by...which is why i tend to go active rather than passive, not to say i won't use a passive crossover and have toiled and lost on attempts to fine tune them and am content that they function for the most part as intented.

Last edited by turk 182; 25th August 2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 25th August 2019, 02:19 PM   #22
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
really...solder joint "break in"...come on
Why not if other people said to ear differences in the miliohms range?
Old 25th August 2019, 02:29 PM   #23
GoatGuy is offline GoatGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

More likely…

Cold-or-poor solder joints are the culprit. Now, granted I've been soldering things for decades … 5 of them to be sure. And early on, after the ouch! Burned finger stage, my uncle showed me how to make an aerospace-qualified solder joint. Fast, solid, every time.

In the meantime, I've reviewed work from scores of peoples mods, upgrades, projects.

The № 1 problem is poor soldering.
№ 2 is mind-boggling wiring runs, lashing, etc.
№ 3 is mis-sizing components from of garden-variety naivety.

It happens. Most newbs have a hard time separating “precision” from “quality”, and “watts” from “more watts”. Sad, but true.

Just saying,
GoatGuy ✓
Old 29th August 2019, 07:48 PM   #24
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
???are you saying cheap ceramic resistors have better tolerance....0.1 ohm is less than the lead and contact resistance of my multimeter, one would need an accurate wien bridge to measure resistance at those levels.

No, just a bench supply and two multimeters, using a 4-terminal measurement.
Old 4th September 2019, 08:51 AM   #25
tubestyle is offline tubestyle  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
More likely…

Cold-or-poor solder joints are the culprit. Now, granted I've been soldering things for decades … 5 of them to be sure. And early on, after the ouch! Burned finger stage, my uncle showed me how to make an aerospace-qualified solder joint. Fast, solid, every time.

In the meantime, I've reviewed work from scores of peoples mods, upgrades, projects.

The № 1 problem is poor soldering.
№ 2 is mind-boggling wiring runs, lashing, etc.
№ 3 is mis-sizing components from of garden-variety naivety.

It happens. Most newbs have a hard time separating “precision” from “quality”, and “watts” from “more watts”. Sad, but true.

Just saying,
GoatGuy ✓
Interesting... would you share the soldering tips?
Old 4th September 2019, 04:51 PM   #26
jameshillj is offline jameshillj  Australia
diyAudio Member

The huge differences in the types of materials that are used in resistors (incl power resistors too) will have quite a different sounds indeed, even if it has the same resistance?

The OP changed out his original resistors for the well known 'bright' Mundorf supreme resistors in the speaker Xovers and didn't like the result - perfectly understandable - if you were to try the Mills MRA ones instead of the Mundorf's, they would provide a lot smoother sound

Resistor do have different sounds - for example, the difference in sound between say, a carbon power resistor and an Isotan or Nichrome resistor is huge - nobody could ever miss the difference.
Old 4th September 2019, 05:13 PM   #27
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 Resistors - Mundorf Supreme - very disappointing
Yes carbon resistors are hugely nonlinear and have no place in the signal path. Otherwise changes are minimal in extreme.
Old 4th September 2019, 05:48 PM   #28
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuhl View Post
I've just replaced the resistors in my three way speaker. I've moved from standard ceramic wire-wound types to Mundorf Supremes at a cost of £90...
You need to characterise the resistors for RLC and that will give you an idea of how much distortion they will cause.

Different isn't always better.

Also, there is the personal taste side of sound to the argument. It could be cheap crappy resistors give the best sound (in your opinion.)
Old 4th September 2019, 11:49 PM   #29
Mattes is offline Mattes  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I had also made very good experiences with the Mundorf Supremes. For an inductive balanced filter for a very revealing wideband driver (Fertin 21M8EX), I needed resistors of a pretty high rating.
I tried Janzen Superes (several of them), a Dale-Vishay 50-Watt metal film on heatsink, an expensive pack of 4 Duelunds and the Mundorf Supremes.

Of course any findings are only valid for this single application, but I liked the Mundorfs best here. I tried to like the Duelunds, as I had paid so much money for them, but it didn´t work...
No double blind test, but just subjective judgement by ear, sorry...

All the best

Mattes

Resistors - Mundorf Supreme - very disappointingHide this!Advertise here!