Swinging choke or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just dissembled a very large hernia inducing amateur radio power supply. It used 4 872A rectifiers and a couple very ugly filament transformers. I found that it had two 9H chokes in it. The number K34J253 is printed on the top of each one with 500MA written in pencil. 9H is what I measured with my little handheld meter. Is there a way to determine if the chokes are normal or swinging? I did a bing search and the swinging choke photos were blurred out.

Probably not a swinger. They tended to have a range of inductance and a corresponding range of current flow printed on the case. Yours has one current and one inductance specified.

I did a Google search and found this, however:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-News/40s/Radio-News-1948-05-R.pdf

It show a project that uses a GE choke with your part number, albeit identified as 10H, 250ma.

The magazine is from 1948, and chock full of the kind of gear and projects that would have driven me insane as a lad. I really want a Hallicrafters T-54 television. 23" screen! (That's measured in square inches.)

Thanks DF96 and Tubesguy.

I looked at that article and I believe the GE part is probably what I have.

They're enclosed in square cans and I thought them capacitors until I removed them and felt the weight. A lot heavier than a capacitor.

How did you manage to find that article?

Interesting stuff. The old ads are cool.

I think I have all the QST's from the early thirties through the sixties.

Tons of great stuff in them.

I have some Hallicrafters stuff but no televisions.

Folks are restoring the old TV's now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.