Best SMD resistors for AUDIO

A quick search here on the site doesn't come up with much .

SMD resistors for audio
from 2007.
Vishay Audio Resistors
from 2008.

So anything new about SMD R's for AUDIO ?

Looking on the Mouser site , two affordable types : Thick and thin film resitors
with prices overlapping each other. So what to choose ?
Seems thin film is the best for audio :
Thin and thick film >> Resistor Guide

But are the fair priced like this one , much different to the more expensive ones ?
RP73PF1E1K0BTDF TE Connectivity / Holsworthy | Mouser
Some datasheets I looked at , don't even give information about what metal they use. The TE says NiCr.

Decades ago at the electronics store there where the green ones , said to be carbon, and the black ones , said to be metal film. Now if you look on Mouser , most look the same and black. Even now at the retail shop , they can sell a cheaper thick film as a thin film because they look the same with minor differences between
manufactors. How can you tell .

Ordering from Mouser seems less risky although you never can be sure whether you received the what you ordered.
Oh and then there are the SMD milf , oops , MELF resistors :
MELF Resistors | Mouser

So what is the best affordable thin film for audio in 2019 ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
A quick search here on the site doesn't come up with much .

So what is the best affordable thin film for audio in 2019 ?

Don't even consider thick film, not suitable for Audio.

I use mostly Susumu RR series for general Audio use, not too expensive and both Digikey and Mouser have very good stock....

Susumu also have a new RS series, which are designed for Audio. To me, they seems expensive and not easy to find, plus they're for some stupid reason only available in 0402 and 0805 and I use mostly 0603 size....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Susumu RG are much more stable than RR. RR are resin encapsulated, and RG are 'glass' encapsulated. I have found that the RG series is much more precise and has much better stability than RR. They are more expensive, but if you want a quality resistor, you have to pay more than the lowest possible price.

The RS series was designed for people who have to use microscopic parts for audio - you will do better to use 2012 or 3216 package RG parts.

Finally, to reduce distortion of an SMD resistor from thermal effects, choose a low temperature coefficient. The standard 25 ppm/degree C is good, but if you want better performance specify the 10 ppm or better tempcos. For audio uses, that will maximize performance since it will reduce the self heating effects that can be an issue with mechanically small resistors and AC signals.

Susumu RG Best

I have used hundreds of the Susumu RGs in my projects. For the price difference I would not screw around with the RR, although the RR comes in more values.
IMO they sound clearer and more detailed than the Dale through-the-hole with no negative impact on SQ. I have found only the Z-Foils and Rhopoints to sound slightly better.
I have not run into any comments about any other SMD resistor sounding better than the RG.
I have used the MELF when I need more than 0.25 watts, but they don't come in too many values and they like to roll around.... I have seen pictures of some high end stuff with MELF resistors.

Last edited:
I guess the choice for the very expensive ones depends on where you use them in the signal path.
The R's at the input of an amp that form the low pass filter and the input resistance only need to be low noise . Tempco or actual value don't matter . Same when used with the voltage regulators for the audio circuit.

As mentioned, you ideally want thin film. The temperature coeficient is usually not a major issue, however the voltage coeficient of resistance IS a big concern- it's much higher with thick film than with thin film or metal film.

That said, thick film resistors are a lot cheaper. You can get away with using thick film resistors in most places without noticeably affecting distortion. Things like emitter degeneration resistors, pull-down resistors being driven by low impedances, etc usually don't pose a huge issue. Just be careful about things like feedback resistors where the value has a direct (and huge) impact on gain.

I'm a cheapskate and usually just buy the cheapest thin-films that DigiKey sells- usually a Stackpole or Yaego.

It's possible that the things done to make a low tempco also result in a lower voltage coefficient.

Of course, tempco CAN affect distortion at low frequencies. Now, AP has good reason to be concerned with it. That said, I really don't much care if my line stage / amplifier has .001% THD at 50 Hz or .0005% THD at 50 Hz.

Don't even consider thick film, not suitable for Audio.

How is a thick film resistor not suitable for audio?

Thick film work absolutely fine unless you're using very small packages or need to put large voltages across them. The only thing they'll do is introduce a bit of distortion though, mostly 3rd order.

Standard thick film will not be the limiting factor on performance in typical, low level, audio applications though.

If you're building a DAC/ADC around the highest performance chips on the market (and aiming for 0.0000x% distortion), or trying to build the lowest noise mic/phono preamp ever, then you would be advised to use thin film or MELF parts. Otherwise just use bog standard thick film. You aren't going to hear, or measure, any difference.

In fact the biggest resistor contribution to performance would be in balanced circuits and using low tolerance parts. This would significantly degrade common mode rejection. Nothing wrong with thick film here so long as you match them yourself.

Reactions: 1 user