Panasonic resistor anti-trust lawsuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes I got three legal notices from the record keeping company hired to notify folks. My total purchases of the included parts were under $25. As my expected share of the recovery is less than the price of postage to file a claim, and my respect for class action lawsuits, I won't bother following up on a claim.

The prize pool is 50 million for 11 years of sales. The lawyers probably get 1/3. Panasonic is not the only plaintiff. I could not find an estimate of their yearly resistor sales volume. But from a few I could find I would expect the total sales volume to exceed a billion dollars for the time period. My guess would be the return will be a few percent of purchases at most.

I have gotten these kinds of notices before and not unexpected individual shares of the settlement are tiny.

Last edited:
It is a course of diminishing returns unless you share the legal fees with 100 other small companies.
I once read about a lawsuit about an overgrown garden hedge.
The lawyers just played legal "ping pong" until the banks called in there loans and then both sides lost there homes.
UK lawyers are just as greedy these days.

I haven't got a notice (yet). I'm sure I bought resistors from Digikey during that time. I did get the capacitor lawsuit notice on a postcard in recent years, though I'm sure my capacitor purchase dollar amount wasn't much more than what I spent on resistors.

I'm looking at the pic on the official site (in post#3). "If you purchased linear resistors from 2003 to 2014..." If you bought resistors that look like those in the picture, you definitely bought them from a surplus outlet. I remember those from the 1960s and 1970s.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.