Help identifiying rotary switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After some assistance in identifying this rotary encoder. I believe it to be an Alps rotary encoder but I can't find a replacement model that has a ribbed shaft.

Any ideas????

Attachments

• IMG20190428094348.jpg
    IMG20190428094348.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG20190428094311.jpg
    IMG20190428094311.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 136
Joined 2011
After some assistance in identifying this rotary encoder. I believe it to be an Alps
rotary encoder but I can't find a replacement model that has a ribbed shaft.

The knurled shaft option could be ordered in quantity as the original mfr did.
It may not be available through a distributor in small quantities, though.

If you ordered an encoder with a smooth shaft, you may be able to disassemble
both, and transfer the old knurled shaft to the new encoder.

Last edited:
The knurled shaft option could be ordered in quantity as the original mfr did.
It may not be available through a distributor in small quantities, though.

If you ordered an encoder with a smooth shaft, you may be able to disassemble
both, and transfer the old knurled shaft to the new encoder.

"Splined shaft" is the term to use if searching, not ribbed or knurled (knurled is completely different!) Oh, count the splines before ordering!

I don't think it is an alps based on my research now.

The switch came out of an Canary CA906L preamp. Being in Australia they are quoting me $60USD for the part and postage. Trying to see if I can get it myself and was hoping it would be an off the shelf part from Digikey or RS Components.

The preamp has a relay attenuator and the switch controls the volume from the front panel. When turning the switch the volume attenuation actually does the opposite, turn it clockwise turns down the volume. The remote volume control works fine.

Had the switch apart and I can't see anything obvious wrong with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.