AU Element14 Minimum For Free Shipping increased

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I placed an order with Element14 (Farnell) AU a couple of days ago with $45 minimum spend for free shipping.

It has now just been stealthily raised to $60AUD (I just made the cut it seems).

Mouser AU is now also $60AUD and Digikey always was I think (I usually cop a 'foreign transaction fee' from my bank for using those two though).

RS Components AU is still $Free but their base prices I've always found to be higher for what I've needed.

Thought i'd mention it before someone gets stung with a $20 shipping fee by rushing through the checkout process as I probably would have..

Just gonna have to tell the missus that I simply have to spend more money - after all, it'll save money :)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    622.8 KB · Views: 109
Farnell US (also element 14) went down to $25 free shipping between black Friday & the end of the year. Something about the holiday rush. They are back up to $100 I think. It's only $7 USPS postage, but I need to get $40 in the box to make it worthwhile I think.
Mouser doesn't let me do USPS so it's always $12 surface UPS from Texas. Digikey allows USPS, and if you buy a few tiny items they will ship First Class for $4.
Free shipping was an Amazon selling point Black Friday to New Year I think. Since New Year is not really free, you have to subscribe to their cable service, which since I don't watch much TV but PBS, I don't. Lots of amazon items can be bought on E-bay for $1 more, which makes the shipping free since the Ebay seller is an amazon subscriber.

Last edited:
Box mover companies are nothing but a money printing machine. Lines shipped > all, operating costs are a percentage of goods value determined by the analysts; anything more: too detailed.

As for the suppliers offering the best deals at the moment best bet is probably Arrow if you want to get free shipping regardless of order value. Their HK warehouse is actually the chip1stop warehouse, beware if you want your goods quickly as there seems to be a ~1 week turnaround on goods out of there, but the NL and US warehouses seem to be NBD shipping. Reasonable range depending on the brands of parts that you prefer - but don't expect a Mousekey.

Also they seem to have been pushing pretty hard and spit out a ~10 to 15% coupon towards the second half of the month.

Last edited:
Also they seem to have been pushing pretty hard and spit out a ~10 to 15% coupon towards the second half of the month.

I notice they have a 10% voucher for new customers at the moment.. Hmm tempting... :)

If they were to streamline their shipping they wouldn't need to. It's been a while so maybe it has changed. But last time I ordered from them I got five separate shipments for an order that was only worth about $70. Crazy!

Tony.

I was going to post something about this a few weeks ago:

How can they be profitable when they overnight me cents worth of a resistor packaged like this? Multiple times for the same order.

:eek:

Attachments

• 20181220_152559_resized.jpg
    20181220_152559_resized.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Bizarre.

If I remember rightly, you have to elect to have E14 deliver a consolidated shipment and they warn you it may cost more ... go figure that one.

I have found RS to be great for the, "ohhh crap, forgot that one little item and stuffed if I could haul it down the road to <insert local parts outfit>". Even so, I normally go for a couple of odds and ends to make it sensible. Someone in the transaction should show some.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.