Fake WIMA's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone ever seen gold labeling on Wima caps? I just received a small amp from China. Supplier claims film caps are Wima's, but the gold printing triggers my "fake" alarm. Also, the molded corners are much sharper than the smooth radius I see on genuine Wima caps.

Think I've been had? Regardless, the amp sounds okay. I'll probably replace a few with caps from Mouser to learn if genuine caps make an audible difference.

Peace,
Tom E

What did you pay for it?

That will tell you whether you have been had, or whether you have simply convinced yourself you can buy something af as crazy low price.

As an engineer involved in getting electronics manufactured in China, it always amazes me that people keep buying gear from random Chinese resellers, with wild promises and incredible prices...

The suppliers we used at work are at the top end of pricing and we are on them constantly, including regular onsite audits. With constant QA surveillance and 100% inspection of the purchases we do OK, but we still get issues.

Yes, I buy gear from China for myself. Cheap is seductive. I assume that it is generic, irrespective of the badging / labelling.

Would it make a difference to you if I said I paid a thousand dollars?

I entered this transaction with serious reservations about supplier integrity. That's why I opened the case immediately upon receipt and saw the caps.

I don't need a lecture about the risks of buying cheap stuff, which I very rarely do for the obvious reasons. This was the most expensive of this type amp available, and the vendor photos of unique construction features made it appear that perhaps they were offering a relatively superior product. I always doubt the provenance of parts in Chinese equipment, fancy labels and descriptions notwithstanding. The amp does contain some impressive features, which makes me disappointed all the more if in fact these Wima's are fake.

Do you have an answer to my question, or are you just here to scold people?

Tom E

Tom E,
Your question was in fact rhetorical.

99.9% sure the product is dodgy if it included brand name parts that look odd.

As I said, I buy Chinese stuff, and some of it is so bad I throw it in the bin. I certainly don't get bent out of shape over these occurrences, as it is a calculated gamble I take that the product is fit for purpose.

Hey sorry if you feel scolded relax. No scolding coming from this corner of the room. I was bagging Chinese suppliers. It was not my money you spent, so I am unfazed.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
IMHO genuine Wima MKP are pretty much at the bottom of the capacitor ladder anyhow.

Absolutely BS. Wima caps are used in industrial devices with very low failure rate. What is "succesful" in audio is the use of overpriced audiophile stuff with good looking gold print on them. The longer you are in this hobby the more you discover that good audio caps are produced by the same brands that produce the industrial stuff. There are not many brands producing only audio caps....

Of course some will object but producing good capacitors in high numbers and constant quality requires know-how, good tooling and good raw materials. Audio is simply a too small market for a cap manufacturer.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever seen gold labeling on Wima caps? I just received a small amp from China. Supplier claims film caps are Wima's, but the gold printing triggers my "fake" alarm. Also, the molded corners are much sharper than the smooth radius I see on genuine Wima caps.

Think I've been had? Regardless, the amp sounds okay. I'll probably replace a few with caps from Mouser to learn if genuine caps make an audible difference.

Peace,

Tom E

Why not contact Wima with a photo? Or provide us with one.

May be older production.

Without more info we are left to speculate, which is never helpful.

I have some Wima AC caps that have a goldish / sparkly tint to the lettering that I am certain are authentic.

I'm sure Wima is well aware that their caps get counterfeited. They probably have better things to do than look at bad pics of bad caps.

What do you need a picture for? Gold lettering looks like gold lettering, not the usual sharply etched black print. The caps are Wima red with very fuzzy, indistinct gold letters, including "WIMA".

What makes you certain that your caps, with "goldish/sparkly tint" (whatever that means) are genuine? Do YOU have a picture to provide?

Let's not get sidetracked by childish arguments about whether Wima caps are the best or the worst. At this point, I am more concerned about whether these are Wima caps, for better or worse.

I am hardly in a panic or bent out of shape about this. As I stated, the amp sounds okay. Actually, better than okay. I plan to replace a couple caps with what I know to be Wima's to learn if it makes any audible difference. I have already contacted the seller to ask about fake parts, and of course they are playing dumb and passing the buck: "We don't know anything about fake parts. Our supplier says they are genuine." Yeah, right.

Peace,
Tom E

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
A picture says more than a thousand words. For instance which font has been used. If the letters are fuzzy like you say you can be sure these are fake. Something you can expect buying cheap chinese stuff or non A brands. I have seen many fake Wima caps in chinese amps. These were so badly copied that one could see it in a split second. Especially the distinct shape of the originals was not copied right. Since I don't trust fake parts regarding their voltage rating etc. I just replace them, certainly when they're in high voltage or mains circuits (X or Y caps for instance).

*The only Wima caps I have seen with gold lettering are the Black Box caps made for the asian market.

Last edited:
The genuine mains ones can split even when they have never had any voltage or even solder applied.

Attachments

• DSCF5270E.jpg
    DSCF5270E.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 400
Joined 2007
Paid Member
asuslover, I have some MKI2 caps that I bought several years ago from a reputable authorized distributor of WIMA here in the states. I am pretty sure that they are black and did go above 1uF at one time. I will get back to you tomorrow. IIRC, the rep said it was a last run of these and they were clearing out remaining stock. I will PM you.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
AFAIK MKI-2 were indeed available in 1.5 µF. Just like some values in MKS2-XL that don't exist anymore. Wima changes the datasheet accordingly and removes the obsolete values which is not clever for future reference (but it is understandable). With Wima I made it a habit to save older datasheets just in case.

MKI-2 were produced with tin plated copper wires. Easy to test. Fake stuff is made with tinned steel or "anymetal" wires which are very hard to solder. IMO the caps on the picture are genuine. M1 means they were produced in 2000.

Last edited:
I'm sure Wima is well aware that their caps get counterfeited. They probably have better things to do than look at bad pics of bad caps.

What do you need a picture for? Gold lettering looks like gold lettering, not the usual sharply etched black print. The caps are Wima red with very fuzzy, indistinct gold letters, including "WIMA".

What makes you certain that your caps, with "goldish/sparkly tint" (whatever that means) are genuine? Do YOU have a picture to provide?

Let's not get sidetracked by childish arguments about whether Wima caps are the best or the worst. At this point, I am more concerned about whether these are Wima caps, for better or worse.

I am hardly in a panic or bent out of shape about this. As I stated, the amp sounds okay. Actually, better than okay. I plan to replace a couple caps with what I know to be Wima's to learn if it makes any audible difference. I have already contacted the seller to ask about fake parts, and of course they are playing dumb and passing the buck: "We don't know anything about fake parts. Our supplier says they are genuine." Yeah, right.

Peace,

Tom E

I am sure because I bought them from Mouser.

Wima would very much appreciate that sort of information and be happy to help identify.

If you are most concerned with whether they are genuine, provide a photo to us.

Pictures are incredibly useful for any thread discussing fake / genuine parts.

Sure I have a photo.

IMG_2072.jpg

No need for hostilities.... you asked for help.

I, too, am grateful for everyone's comments and contributions to the discussion.

I will post pictures if I can find a way to do so. My old pic system is hampered by software incompatibility with new hardware. Curse of the modern age, and a bit frustrating when one is asked to provide something one can't.

A picture will show a series of small film capacitors, very red in color, with "WIMA" and all other labeling written in fuzzy gold-colored font. Very plain and simple, and obviously not genuine Wima parts.

Peace,
Tom E

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.