Best Volume Pots?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not including stepped attenuators (I know they are better but we could spend days on the resistor choices alone). What are peoples opinions on the best Volume Pots?

Has anyone heard the Alps metal-cased high end pot?

Include prices and sources if you can.

Thanks.

Milo

of the pots I've personally used...

alps blue velvet (~$15), close matching, smooth operation, no clicks

panasonic EVJ (~$2.50) matching is close but not nearly as close as the alps, very smooth operation, not as much torque needed to turn, no clicks

Never used, but heard good things....

alps black beauty (~$35) larger version of the blue velvet. I'm not sure why you'd pop for the extra cash on this one, but if you do, I'm sure you can't really go wrong.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Better than just about any log. volpot is to use a cermet lin pot with a law faking resistor IMHO.

My favourite is the Sfernice P11 cermet but nice ones can be had from Bourns, Noble etc.

Better still are stepped attenuators which allow the use of the resistor brands that compliment your persoanl taste best.

Cheers,;)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Years ago I had a pair of these http://www.bourns.com/2/pdfs/slimline.pdf
from Bourns. They were the only parts that were on a par with the Techlabs-Vishay stepped attenuators I have ever found. The Alps and the Nobel have distinct sounds, and I prefered the Nobel. I also tried the Penny & Giles and was dissapointed.

Conductive plastic will outlast carbon.

The big Alps (The black one) has seperate resistive elements between each step. They are all laser trimmed. The others have a closely controlled track and detents, but are not switches.

A very important factor is contact resistance variation -CRV- (a parisitic resistor between the contact and the track) It can have both an effect on the sound and the accuracy. You may find it on the spec sheets.

This was as a 10K pot. Different impedances will affect everything.

-Demian

A3rd.Zero said:
I think the black beauty is an stepped attenuator.

There are different "Black Beauty"s. I have some (labelled McIntosh), and they are standard pots, but with an added click device to make you think they are attenuators ;)

I have also seen a version that is a real stepped attenuator. They all look the same from the outside, so you have to take them apart to find out. The back is removable, so finding out is quite easy.

I can't tell you if they are good or bad - I just bought them cheap some years ago. I have only used the blue Alps RK27 pots (because of the motor). The RK27 pots work very well.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Interesting subject. German audio retailer "Thel" claim that they have a potmeter that is actually better than any stepped attenuators. They even stopped selling Elma switches (with welwyn resistors) because they are more expensive and sound worse (less good?) than these miracle potmeters!

Here's the link:

http://www.thel-audioworld.de/bauteile/regler/Stpot.htm

What do you reckon? Could this be true?

Abo

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

If its better than the Welywn/Elma that may say more about the Welywn than the pot.

My thoughts exactly....
Why they keep on insisting these Welwyn reistors are so good is beyond me.
They're not bad but they're magnetic after all.

Then there are better switches than the ELNAs as well, not to mention all sorst of attenuator configurations.

Cheers, ;)

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Better than just about any log. volpot is to use a cermet lin pot with a law faking resistor IMHO.

My favourite is the Sfernice P11 cermet but nice ones can be had from Bourns, Noble etc.

Better still are stepped attenuators which allow the use of the resistor brands that compliment your persoanl taste best.

Cheers,;)

Sounds interesting.
How does one go about implementing a 'law faking resistor'?

Setmenu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.