Modern replacements for Erie resistors in Goodmans amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I've recently been working on a Goodmans Maxamp which suffers from low volume in one channel. Upon examining it the only problem I could find was with two components attached directly to the speaker outputs. According to the service manual these are listed as Erie R107 and R110 Resistors, both rated as 2 ohm +/- 0.5 ohm. As you can see from the attached pictures, they are bulging pretty badly, and one appears to have split.

I'm confused because they don't have the traditional resistor colour coding; which means I'm not really sure what to replace them with. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :)

Attachments

• 20170604_142834.jpg
    20170604_142834.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 20170604_142843.jpg
    20170604_142843.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20170604_142852.jpg
    20170604_142852.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 74
Hi Scott, thanks for your very speedy reply. And for giving me specs for replacements, I'll see if I can source some online. Though, I have to say that I have attached speakers to the terminal that bypasses these resistors and the low volume on one channel remains; so perhaps these aren't related to that problem. I'll give it a go anyway, and if it doesn't work, have another look. Thanks again!

The one on the left appears to have died from a violent, unnatural death: the resistive wire has been volatilized and has vitrified the green cement on that spot.
First thing I'd do is to investigate the causes of that incident, to make sure everything is OK (amp, wiring, speakers, etc).
If nothing suspicious is found, replace the resistor, and power the system, while being ready to hit the OFF switch.
If all goes well, observe the system for some time, to look at hints of possible malfunction.
If you find nothing abnormal, it may be a fluke of some kind... things sometimes happen without apparent reason

Hi Elvee, thanks for your reply. I thought something extreme must have happened to it, but wasn't sure what as it came into my possession like this. I can't see any other blown or damaged components, everything looks healthy enough, but I suppose appearances can be deceptive. Because this amp is vertical it's quite different from others of my experience and rather difficult to examine some things properly without complete disassembly. I will definitely go easy on it - I'll acquire the resistors suggested by Scott above and then see how it goes after I've made the change. And I'll report back here to let you both know what happens.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.