what kind of capacitor is this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wondering what kind of cap this is? I just started learning electronics and am working on a crown ic-150 I bought around 10 years ago. I noticed some of these caps have a bunch of white residue under them. This cap in the picture i measured with my DMM on the cap tester and it came out as .4 does that seem right or out of tolerance? I measured by taking it out and discharging the cap first. Thanks! 20160919_094306.jpg

I think it is supposed to be .1uf from looking at it. More than likely it is a polyester cap. From the looks of it i do not believe it is used in a critical role in that amp with a grounding lug attached to one end of it. I may still have the manual somewhere but I would not worry about it too much if I were you. Replace it with a poly if it makes you feel better.

Joined 2011
Wondering what kind of cap this is? I just started learning electronics and am working on a crown ic-150 I bought around 10 years ago. I noticed some of these caps have a bunch of white residue under them. This cap in the picture i measured with my DMM on the cap tester and it came out as .4 does that seem right or out of tolerance?

It's an ITW-Paktron 0.1uF wound film cap, like Audio Research used in their early preamps.
Here's a similar one. https://www.westfloridacomponents.c....022+uF+100V+Radial+Paper+Capacitors+ITW.html
It's unlikely that it melted, maybe it was anchored by silicone.
The value is not likely to have increased, maybe your tester is off. It's probably fine.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.