Advice on power umbilical connectors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
XLR connectors for DC power transmission between separate power supply and amplifier. 330VDC at 150ma, 50-0-50 at 90ma, 12V at 1.5A DC heaters

Doable, or over-reaching the electrical capability of the XLR-7 plug and socket?

Attachments

• 27543_sq.jpg
    27543_sq.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 385
I much prefer Amphenol MS military connectors. Usually a size 16 or 18, but 14s would also work well. I get them on eBay from "347stainless". Type MS3106A 18-11P below as an example.
Edit: The blue inserts are interchangeable via a snap ring.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
I much prefer Amphenol MS military connectors. Usually a size 16 or 18, but 14s would also work well. I get them on eBay from "347stainless". Type MS3106A 18-11P below as an example.
Edit: The blue inserts are interchangeable via a snap ring.

Indeed!

There are Amphenol connectors for my Hallicrafters "Loudenboomer" amplifier -- the one with the mercury vapor rectifier power supply sitting on the floor!

I've had good results with Amp's (now TE Connectivity) CPC circular plastic series and Switchcraft's Conxall series. Prices are a great deal lower than the quasi-military stuff, and they'll handle 600V. CPC contacts are sold separately, with many options, and they're individually replaceable.

Just be sure that no male pins are touchable when they are hot (you don't want male pins with exposed voltage, think of power cords, the male end is only powered when it is inside a female connector), and that the connector is a pattern that will not be confused with others. You don't want someone to plug in a microphone into the 330VDC output jack!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.