Resistors from China

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told don't buy resistors from China on ebay. That the tempco of 1% metal film is not the same as from Digikey. I want to hear from you guys what's your opinion.

The resistors are really cheap particular the 3W carbon film or metal film resistor like 0.15, 0.18, 0.22ohm type. I know better not to just put them into the board. I actually solder them into a chain, using a power supply to run at least 2.5W for two hours, measure the voltage drop to match them into a set before putting into the board. I think this is safe.

Also, I measure all the resistors, I found except for on badge of resistor that was totally wrong, all the others are accurate to 1%. I have been using those 1/4W metal film and they are ok.

I know I shouldn't have to do all these. But I am not producing amps to sell, I am building for myself only. It is really not much work to measure every single resistor and do this test. You are talking about $5.99USD for 100 of the the 3W resistors. Cheapest I found was 20cents each. I am retired, I have time!!! More importantly, I already have these resistors, I don't want to spend more to buy more UNLESS there is a compelling reason. I want to hear from you guys.

On the side note, I definitely would not buy transistors and capacitors from China on ebay. I don't want to take the chance to get counterfeit transistor that has different spec. I don't trust the voltage rating of the Chinese cap. But resistor? It should be ok.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I bought 1280 1/4 watt resistors on Amazon recently. They basically cost me 1 cent each. I have no doubt they are Chinese. I used them to populate my latest DAC build.

What can I say? They work, and the DAC sounds excellent to me. I did measure a few of them and found them to be "close enough".

I wouldn't hesitate to use them in other circuits, where appropriate.

depends on your benchmark. You could buy 0207 Vishay-Beyschlag or Yageo-Vitrohm metal film resistors from Mouser for app. 10 cents each. They are rated at 0.6W/350V/50ppm. Compared to the unbranded and unspecified 0.25W stuff sold over amazon or ebay, this is lightyears away.
However most circuits will even run happily with 5% carbon films. So you maybe won't notice any difference.

Most of the resistor used in audio are not critical. The only thing I worry is reliability which I tested as described above. Who cares if they drift a little more than the real resistors?!!:D

Wanna bet, the ones you buy from Mouser or digikey are likely from China anyway. They are just made in China with quality control. You think all the electronics made in China or South East Asia use resistors bought from Mouser or digikey?

Status
Not open for further replies.