OpAmp Input Bias Current Return Path?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Several of the opamps I have been studying require a resistor from either or both inputs to ground to prevent the inputs from floating to a potential which exceeds the common mode range, causing the input amplifiers to saturate.

But won't that cause a voltage divider on the inputs, thus reducing accuracy?

My main goal here is to find an opamp with zero drift and as low offset as possible. I will be using it at DC so I don't need any bandwidth.

What I have discovered is that the TL071 I have been using has terrible drift and poor temperature coefficient.

Several of the opamps I have been studying require a resistor from either or both inputs to ground to prevent the inputs from floating to a potential which exceeds the common mode range, causing the input amplifiers to saturate.

But won't that cause a voltage divider on the inputs, thus reducing accuracy?

My main goal here is to find an opamp with zero drift and as low offset as possible. I will be using it at DC so I don't need any bandwidth.

What I have discovered is that the TL071 I have been using has terrible drift and poor temperature coefficient.

As usual in engineering, it depends! And you need to do some numbers in the light of your application.

What are the impedances involved? Zero drift does not exist, so how low can you get away with?

This is not an audio problem, but an instrumentation one. If impedances are lowish, you can use a chopper stabilised amp, but they have their own problems.

If you baseline is TLo7x series, a cheapo cooking OA, you ae in the wrong league. Try looking at OP07 and later derivatives.

As always, detail your application for less guesswork and more help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.