Electrolytic cap end markings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've gotten spoiled by using electrolytics with a nice big stripe down the side, marked with a (-) sign and arrows pointing to the negative lead.

I came across a Nippon Chem cap today which only had a very subtle mark on the base. See pics- my apologies for the blurry quality.

I was able to figure out which lead was attached to the PCB ground plane, so wasn't puzzled for long, but I guess this little bump in the base molding was the clue to (-) polarity?

Attachments

• mini-cap end.JPG
    mini-cap end.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 123
  • mini-cap end marked.jpg
    mini-cap end marked.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 124
I was able to figure out which lead was attached to the PCB ground plane, so wasn't puzzled for long, but I guess this little bump in the base molding was the clue to (-) polarity?
Now THAT is another clue - a schematic of its use in a circuit can tell a lot.

BP in electronics means bandpass to me, but I can see where it can mean bipolar (what I've always heard of as non-polar) for electrolytic capacitors.

I was able to figure out which lead was attached to the PCB ground plane, so wasn't puzzled for long.....

If I'd given it a bit more thought, perhaps I would have considered that the 'top' of the cap could be swinging more negative than the ground plane....I'm sure HP/Hitachi had a reason for putting a NP aka BP cap in that location on the CRT driver board.

Now THAT is another clue - a schematic of its use in a circuit can tell a lot.

BP in electronics means bandpass to me, but I can see where it can mean bipolar (what I've always heard of as non-polar) for electrolytic capacitors.
Non-Polar means made from materials that are not polarised.
Bi-Polar means made from materials that are polarised but in such a way that they can tolerate voltages in both directions.
Electrolytics are NOT Non-Polar. Electrolytics can be Bi-Polar, if made for that duty.

Many of the "plastics" di-electrics are polarised, but the effect is very small and is usually ignored for all our general uses.
There are a few "plastics" that are non-polar.

Last edited:
Good clarification, Andrew.

Fortunately, when I searched at parts suppliers (Mouser/Digikey), their software replied with a selection of bi-polar electrolytics when offered the search terms: 'NP electrolytic'.

Perhaps we could go back to the conventions of an earlier era, for less confusion?

Attachments

• reversible.jpg
    reversible.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 29
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.