Panasonic WM-61A Mic Capsule to be discontinued

Yeah, not a lot of people hacking cameras...but I figured posting might get me some responses from someone who knows enough to comment, like you.

I did see there was a separate analog 3 V source in the schematic for the lesser model...but it's probably just slightly isolated by a different resistor and decoupling cap.

It's a vehicle for experimentation, something I can't resist. Next up is the $25 shotgun mic that was cheap enough to bust open. I hear they have pretty rotten freq. and phase response by nature...So I might just use the tube and a single capsule and forget the dual elements.

I am placing a Mouser (or could be Digikey) order soon and I need to include a measurement mic element. Can anyone recommend a good (flat response) mic element? I looked at quite a few datasheets and the responses in the 5 to 30 kHz range did not look suitable for measurements.

Is there a good substitute for WM61A stocked at either Mouser or Digikey?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you want something inexpensive check the dayton IMM6 if you make an adapter for the TRRS to whatever input you have on your preamp, you have a decent measurement mic with a cal file for not much cash (less that $30 US I think).

I have a panasonic WM60AY as a measurement mic, the WM60A was even flatter than the WM61A but when comparing against the little dayton (with it's cal file) it still shows some deviations.

Tony.