Gamut amp acting as a sparkler!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

What started out as a very low hum from one channel of my D200MRKII, developed into a sparkling fireworks show later on. I took the circuit board out and noticed a SCHRACK relay had burned up internally. See pic. Nothing else looks damaged or broken on the board. I ordered a new SCHRACK relay and was wondering if this will be a simple plug n' play fix. Any comments before I fire this thing up?

Attachments

• DSCF0342.JPG
    DSCF0342.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 439
  • DSCF0344.JPG
    DSCF0344.JPG
    540.5 KB · Views: 430
Measure the voltage from the amplifier output. It should be zero. If it is, there is either an intermittent failure or some strange transient melted your relay contacts.

You need to make sure the amplifier output is zero with no signal, and that the idling current is about right. If it all checks out, you can replace the relay but I'd add a fuse in series with the speakers in case this happens again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.