Who made this 2SA968 and is it safe to use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wanted to replace the two 2SA968's in my Revox amp since the originals have got hot and burned the pcb traces. Although they still work. I was hoping to use new ones with un-trimmed legs that I could space further from the PCB, with clip-on heatsinks, so I bought these.

Now I'm reading about sub-standard fakes. Does anyone recognise this T "trade mark"? I don't know that it's counterfeit per sè, since it isn't claiming to be a brand that it isn't. But is it safe to use?

It was bought from a large component supplier who should be trustworthy - but who can ever be sure!?

Attachments

• 2sa968.jpg
    2sa968.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 235
It *is* a Toshiba part, and it looks exactly like A968's that I've salvaged from working equipment that was made in the 90's. If you're unsure, compare base-emitter capacitance to the known good.

Thanks for that. The "T" looks a little wider & shorter than on other Toshibas I have, but the printing quality on this one is very good - so I was perplexed. The metal tab cutting is also a little rough - not as smooth & rounded as some To220s. Maybe late production runs on a tighter budget.
But the Cbe test will be useful - thanks for the tip.

I found that the pins from a molex conneter will work beautifully for extending the legs of the old transistors - so I can use them if need be. But the question is then... is it better to use proven old transistors - even if they've been run very hot, or new ones?

If a transistor has been run hot enough to cook a PCB, I'd replace it. I would also test any device that I didn't know where it came from.

You've also got to ask yourself - why would anyone bother to fake a run of the mill part that's not in high demand or volume and could be replaced by just about any modern TO-220 driver transistor? Just how many would they expect to sell? I can understand even cheap parts if they sell millions of them, and high-dollar stuff that restorers would insist on exact type number replecements (like 2SD424's in the old Adcoms).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.