When to use Polyester / Polypropylene or Mica / Monolithic Caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When it comes to electronic design don't be tempted to confuse "famous" with 'competent'; they do not always coincide. As a general rule, the more someone knows about electronics the less they are interested in component swapping. I am not saying that a swap can never improve things, but this is far less likely than many people fondly imagine. As likely as improvement is degradation; the most likely outcome is no change at all. If a newbie is doing the swaps then quite likely is the amp stops working altogether.

Don't want to polemic ! Competent means to me : the device is working. All are working when you switch on : techs know what they do ! But most sound bad or not terrible! Means : experience matters, it's not magic involved ! Sometimes effects can be heard and not measured. Just because you just don't know what to measure. i.e. the things measured are not the one important involved in the change or it's too subtle for the scopes or it's hard to isolate the measurement in the whole circuit interactions... but not at all for the sounding result ! Of course one can be biased: but this is also to easily involved by tech whom have the temptation to think they rule all the process (sort of bias too)!
Most didn't cause 1% of the devices sound good only ! It doesn't mean the other devices are not working... they switch on and produce sound... unluckilly not good enough !
But yes you are true it's not just swapping and luck; but some of the result is uncertain because too much parameters are involved to isolate and measure; often time is a limiting factor (as the lack of experience) !
Sorry, but Kondo makes better amps than the brand new tech fresh out of the polytechnic school... And some are better than others !
but don't polemic about that, think yor answer makes sense for the OP and I learned things too!
Thanks for that.

Thanks; indeed ref Kef speakers are matched L/R (0.5%?); and some Alcaps caps Inside are 2% sorted out ! (just asked myself if some mylars were not too speedy instead Elec bipolars...polypro distorss less but have even less loss angle... so maybe a problem in a well designed speaker XO and a mismatch with the mids and bass where the capacitance values becomes huge for Nothing else than elec caps... Hard to make a choice when your speaker is from 1985... elec caps are aging and I even do not know if just the ESR failed or the capacitance value either (how to change Something you can not measure anymore...?! Just follow what marked on the can with the tolerance : 2% to 5% ....? Haizzz)

A sad Truth halas ! Tech have no power (but electricity) : power is on the side of the marketing and purchasing dpt & human ressources & Financial above(time is money)... 99% of devices sound crap (the same at a low standard about SQ), and if the tech had more experience they will be able to make it sound better with few tricks (as a better choice also of passive parts !), but most of the time they are young, the older being office officers and not touching anymore to the technic. True for everything : food, furnitures, engineering is not an exception!

But yep they are competent enough, but it's a little terrific for the money they ask ! (and so the true competent one, the 1% ask even more in stratospheric money area !)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.