What Happened to My Monster Cable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a 25 foot section of "copper" Monster Cable that
is older and has turned black and nasty! (it was fine when new)

The problem is on the inside- not the insulation on the outside.

I cut it open and there is some kind of black goo on the wire!
(cant see it too good on the pics (flash) but its there and you can
see a little bit)

I thought the copper may have oxidized? What gives?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi lgreen,

I have had a similar problem too, but this occured after more than twenty years of dayly use.

I should like to know why this occured. There were also other changes in internal color.

I have bought new cables with a bigger section, and my amp now sounds better.:)

Regards, rephil

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It's probably caused by Monster suing itself for the use of the word Monster :)

I have some similar 10 & 12 guage wire of similar vinatge... because it is stranded and because of the poor quality of the insluation moist air has gotten in and it has oxidized. it is really dark green. I get 25 cents a pound at the metal recyclers.

dave

Actually, no - you should see the wire leads in my ST-70 transformers (1967 vintage) - colored PVC insulation and very green.

It's the 'C' in PVC - Poly Vinyl Chloride. Put a bare copper wire in swimming pool and see what happenes to it - the chloride accelarates the tarnisg process.

CharleyW said:
Actually, no - you should see the wire leads in my ST-70 transformers (1967 vintage) - colored PVC insulation and very green.

It's the 'C' in PVC - Poly Vinyl Chloride. Put a bare copper wire in swimming pool and see what happenes to it - the chloride accelarates the tarnisg process.

Non transparent vinyl does not varnish the copper.
I have old Levinson speaker cables that are as new.
Black vinyl is also bad for the copper.
Maybe is the "softener". Your chemical explaining is typical laymans.

Another anti-Monster conspiracy? :) My cables look as bright and shiny as the day i bought them 20 years ago. Mostly worked as power cords as they stank as speaker wires. Must be the cleaner air in the 3rd world - 10 years in Zim and ten in SA.

Attachments

• monster.jpg
    monster.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 438
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi analog_sa,

It is not an anti-Monster conspiracy. Mine were the same as those presented by lgreen, and they had clear reddish parts in a few places too. At that time I got them for free with my speakers, so I am stil very satisfied of the 20+ years of use of those cables… Even if I have thrown them away a few monthes ago.

IMO, paying for cables is a sad situation : you should not do that as long as you don't know what you get for your money.:D

Regards, rephil

CharleyW said:

A chemical compound has completely different characteristics than the separate parts, otherwise you'd surely have died by now by putting salt on your food... Kitchen salt = Sodium Chloride...

To lgreen: that's indeed oxide. The insulator must have gone (more) porous and allowed oxygen to reach the copper strands.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.