EP2500 issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I made a mistake on eBay. I bought a defective EP2500, however when I received it today, I was surprised to find that it both turned on, and played correctly through both channels. Only 2 hours later did I find the issue. The fan doesn't work and the amp was cooking. I pulled the top of the case off, and put some fans on the heat sinks to cool the amp.

I've tested both the fan (dead) and the fan supply (also dead), and am now confused as to what i should do to fix the problem. I found what look to be two diodes which are burned up, but I'm leary of what other problems may be lurking somewhere.

If the fan supply is shot, what else could be affected. How should I test for other possible problems? How do I ensure the amp is safe to run if I fix the fan supply & replace the fan?

Edit: I've e-mailed the seller and am waiting for more information on what types of issues he knew about and how the damages were sustained. I will update when I get an answer from him.

Well the basic fault is clearly the fan supply.

I would bet it was heating up and then going into thermal shutdown, the seller may not even be aware of the faulty fan, it might be a case of 'it keeps cutting out'.

Just fix the fan supply board, fit a new fan, check the fuses are the right values, and try again, there is unlikely to be anything actually dangerous as far as faults go.

Finally stick it on soak for an hour at full power and make sure nothing smokes.

Regards, Dan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.