Large Caps - Any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I managed to "rescue" these caps from an industrial machine.

They are very large but the capacitance & voltages don't seem that high compared to modern day sizes. (CD case in pic to give idea of size)

The first is an LCR 2500uF 350Volt - about the size of two stacked cans of beans and roughly the same diameter - I think this is a polyprop but I can't find anything on the interweb. Any good, do you reckon?

The rest are Mallory elec caps. They are 1100uF 450V & 150V and finally a Plessey 1.5uF 400V poly cap?

I'm thinking of trying the LCR on a PS but would be concerned about strain on the rectifiers at startup.

Whatdaya think? Worth keeping?

Attachments

• cap group.jpg
    cap group.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 162
jkeny said:
The first is an LCR 2500uF 350Volt - about the size of two stacked cans of beans and roughly the same diameter - I think this is a polyprop

Of course it is not a polyprop, it is an electrolytic. These caps can take high ripple currents and that's one of the reasons they are so big. LCR is above average sounding cap ime. You can limit the current with a resistor and switch at startup. A choke input filter will also help.

LCR cap says 36MA (this is not a lot of ripple - if that is what it means) on the cap sleeve & I don't see any + or - terminal symbols or colours on the pins or cap sleeve - this is why i thought it was a film type. How do I know which is pos terminal then?

Mark did you find info on-line on the LCR cap?

What about the Mallory caps - any use holding onto them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.