good +/- line-stage regulators (LT1033/LT1085 replacement?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
looks like LT is going to discontinue the LT1033 three-terminal negative regulator fairly soon. it's marked "not recommended for new designs" on linear's website. this paired with the LT1085 made for possibly one of the best power supplies for line-level audio short of more complex discrete designs like walt jung's super regulators. i've done some searching, but am finding a serious lack of high-performance negative regulators in the class of the LT1033 (none actually). anybody know of a good negative regulator, or a good positive/negative pair worth looking at? i'd like to stick with off-the-shelf IC regulators for this just to keep things simple and compact. thanks for any suggestions.

You can stick with your prefered LT1085!

Just use two positive regulators to build up a dual (+/-) power supply, like here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1531867#post1531867

This has indeed two advantages: usually the negative regulator has inferior specs than the positive one (like 7815 vs 7915), so using two positive regulators gives equal performance.

2nd you can buy twice the quantities of the pos. regulator and benefit from quantity price breaks.

In case of the LT1083 (7A) you can build up even a voltage regulated psu for power amps, now if that isn't cute...

Have fun, Hannes

hannes, dave, thanks for the suggestions. yeah, i think i'll go with the two positive regulators for this. pretty slick. no down sides that i can see since i was planning on building separate bridge rectifiers for the two transformer secondaries anyway.

dave, i'm in the redrock condos on austin drive. i'll be in touch if this project starts to come together. some local input would be great. thanks.

You can stick with your prefered LT1085!

Just use two positive regulators to build up a dual (+/-) power supply, like here

Interest in dual regulator LT1083 pcbs? - diyAudio

This has indeed two advantages: usually the negative regulator has inferior specs than the positive one (like 7815 vs 7915), so using two positive regulators gives equal performance.

Hi there, I am currently looking at the LT1033 regulator for negative voltage regulation but it is a bit pricey now that it's discontinued.

However here you have two positive regulators. I am confused. Is CONN4 outputting a negative voltage, if so how is that doing that from CONN"? I'm trying to figure out how this works.

From CONN2 is '1' outputting a positive or negative voltage?

Thanks for any help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.