Folded horn coax?

Good morning.

I recently found a steal on my local Facebook Marketplace and snagged 4 Eminence Kappa Pro 15 LF2 drivers for less than the cost of a single driver. My grand plans are to turn one into a downward firing sub for my dining room, one is going into a bass guitar cabinet, and for the other two I wanted to do either a 2 or 3 way PA cabinet for my back yard.

Now my rather ambitious design idea was to build a set of folded W horn cabs with a small bass reflex box in the center that holds either a full range driver/horn, or a pro coax driver combo.

So my big question is does anyone know of existing folded W horn cab designs for this driver that I can make some mods to or are able to point me to the right things I need to tune the cab correctly?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
AES Papers -- Official website of D.B.Keele

check out: 11. "Low-Frequency Horn Design Using Thiele/Small Driver Parameters," Presented at the 57th Convention of the Audio Engineering Society, Preprint No. 1250 (K-7), (May 1977).

this will give you the mouth area, throat area etc. as a starting point for a horn design from the ts parameters. Then use hornresp to tweak, IE you might want to reduce the mouth size from ideal as if using in a room you will have boundry reinforcement.

Here is a horn I designed using this paper:
Mega midbass straight horn 139dB

and for the other two I wanted to do either a 2 or 3 way PA cabinet for my back yard.

Now my rather ambitious design idea was to build a set of folded W horn cabs with a small bass reflex box in the center that holds either a full range driver/horn, or a pro coax driver combo.

A W bin is a massive big box and no there really isn't any room in it to enclose a reflex mid-hi component. Are you set on using a folded horn here?
The coax driver combo is a good idea but I'd suggest splitting up bass and mid-highs into seperate enclosures. You could use the Kappas in Cubo15 extended boxes as subs, and house the coax drivers in thier own suitably sized cabs that can be pole mounted over the subs.

There are 3-way horn loaded cab designs out there.. Peter Moris's PM60 and PM90 for example or you could try a a synergy horn if you'e feeling really ambitious, EAW produced similar style cabs too(KF series) but these get big and heavy real quick and still require subs for proper fullrange sound.

But do you need/want the sound levels these designs are capable of producing? How big an area are you trying to cover and at what SPL?

You want tobuild a Cerwin Vega B48 MF (or B36 MF), big loud folded horns,MF version including a 12" forward firing speaker,which very wellmay be a coaxial.
No need for a Bass reflex, just guarnteeing it livesiside its owbn sealed enclosure,saparate frommainwoofer.

Typically using a 18" woofer but a 15" one will work fine,or you can adapt it for two, side by side.

fBass_Speaker_Cabinet_CerwinVega_B48MF_Fo_5fc016a3e2e1e.jpg

index.php

index.php