Stereo or mono discussion

Hey guys,

Listen to 2 speakers playing in stereo aligned in a way you can't notice the stereo image is better than you listen 1 speaker in mono? The final SPL would be set the same, both PA are the loudest in technology. I want to know about sound quality.

Paul from PS audio said in this video that the lower distance between two speakers more midbass there will be. So 2 speakers together will produce more mid bass than 1 speaker, is it right?
Optimal distance between loudspeakers - YouTube
Link of video

I would like to know if I should set 2 speakers and play in stereo or set up 1 speaker in mono because it takes more time and physical energy to set up 2 speakers than only 1. Because of the listen position does not allow the stereo perception.

Its almost impossible to hear in stereo if you have a walkable venue and cant have a equilateral triangle sweet spot what do you think?
Do you prefer to listen in mono or stereo?

The short answer is don't worry about it too much. I almost always setup PA systems in a standard left-right configuration but the primary reason for doing that is room coverage. Stereo sources will sound best in the sweet spot on the dancefloor, for mono sources it doesn't matter.

I always mixed in mono for clubs. The dancers don't care about stereo imaging, and stereo, the people on the left side of the house might hear the drums and backup vocals while those on the right hear the keyboards. Not a desirable state.

There is a local bar I like to dine at, and they have their music set up in stereo. My table is near one speaker, and I can't hear the pothers, so I only get one channel. WHhen I do installs at restaurants, I wire them in mono as well, for that reason.

Thank you for these ideas. I totally agree with you guys.

I increment that listen in stereo using pa speakers is awesome Ive did it a lot of times and sounds a great pleasure for ears. I did it in my home backyards, the sweet spot is my fitness equipment for muscle grow xD
Self enjoyment!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Stereo for conventional PA in rectangular room. Mono if you have the mentioned dining senario with just a bunch of speakers around a room. Yes you don't get stereo in all positions in a nightclub but also the music played probably dosent have sounds hard panned left or right.

Subs should be mono though!

Modern dance music you want to leave the music in stereo since it makes much greater use of the stereo field. Summing that stuff to mono will make the music sound a bit whack with weird phasing going on, in particular at the top end. This was not really the case say 20 years ago but is absolutely the case now. Many people probably wouldn't notice the resulting weirdness, but I would.