How to use aux sends on Yamaha EMX5000-20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an EMX5000-20. I wondering if someone on here could give me a quick lesson in how to use the Aux Sends on this unit.? I thought i knew how to use them, but im just not 100% sure. I was under the impression that the jacks were bad. But i took them out, and swapped them for 2 from one of the channel strips, and now the 2 that were connected in the Aux Send are working just fine.

This is how i was thinking i am supposed to do it.
The signal from the aux send is non-powered, correct.? So i need to come out of them to a power amp first.? Then out of there to my monitors. Make sure aux levels on channel strips are down. Master aux faders to unity gain, as well as the master fader. Then just turn up and dial in the aux knob on each channel strip.?

That whole last paragraph was pretty much one nig question..lol. Is that the jist of it.? Or am i doing something wrong..? Thanks in advance for any help.

Wow turk. "Quite an operation.?" Im just trying to learn, guy. And honestly, i have been messing with this thing for a few months now and have not been able to find anywhere online or in real life where there are knowledgable folks like yourselves to start throwing me a little advice, OR places to just outright buy parts so i dont have to remove "known working jacks"...so what they worked. Theres 19 more channels if i screwed it up. So ive really just been trying things and when they dont work, i try something else. Finally i found a place where i THOUGHT i could explain my situation, and there were passionate people out there willing to help me out, bc honestly, im a musician, not a sound guy. And yes...i THOUGHT the jacks were bad. I know how to solder well, and no idea which store has emx5000 parts on the shelf. And also, yes actually, i read the manual front to back about 5 times. The page u sent me says nothing more than where to plug them into smart guy. I thought maybe someone wouldnt mind giving me a quick tutorial on the whole thing start to finish...like, how they hook them up, which knobs or faders need to be turned up, how they use them. But thanks so much for your sarcastic, belittling criticism...ill just move along, and go crawl into a hole now...

Quote from post #1:
This is how i was thinking i am supposed to do it.
The signal from the aux send is non-powered, correct.? So i need to come out of them to a power amp first.? Then out of there to my monitors.

Quote from post #5:
The page u sent me says nothing more than where to plug them into smart guy.

The quotes speak for themselves. The page (post #3) says it all.

Really..? Yet another person trying to make me feel retarded.. ? Yea..i get how to hook them up. But when i removed the original aux send jacks, and put them in the channel strip, they worked..and i cpuld get sound from the aux sends..so i assume im doing something wrong with the sends. I really just got on here for help guys. Apparently this was the wrong place and i do apologize.

hey i think you've got the wrong impression, i wasn't trying to belittle you in any way and i may have not been forthcoming with the additional information you where looking for but i've been berated for going on and on (like Foghorn Leghorn) when the person i was communicating with either didn't care or thought they knew better,(and not going to profess to be an expert just knowledgeable) so again my apologies.

i've not sent you any links that was someone else!

a tutorial...i may be able to help there but i'm a slow typist and there is alot of information to pass on.

Last edited:
..and i cpuld get sound from the aux sends..so i assume im doing something wrong with the sends.

If you get sound from the aux sends, than what is the problem?

Both on the page that I already linked to, and on pages 16 (diagram) and 17 (explanation) it's explained what the aux send jacks are and how they have to be hooked up.

I just find it very hard to imagine that a person who knows how to solder well (post #5) doesn't understand how a jack works.

I strongly advise you to bring your mixer to someone who's up to the task. I think it's very likely that with such a low level of understanding of electronics and of hooking-up and operating mixing panels, you will do more harm than good to your mixer.

I can imagine that postings like these are not what you want to hear/read. But there are two sides to this. You can't expect all other forum members to be silent about their amazement over some questions/problems that come along on this forum.

There are many things I'm not good at, or even downright bad at. Nothing unusual about that. That doesn't make me feel retarted. Surely there must be many other things that you're good at.

Bushman

Aux sends are usually pre-fader to send signal to effects processors. Think of a delay / reverb unit.
The return of this processing is routed back to the mixer via Return jacks and then mixed with the mains.

You can also for example use them to send signals to other mixers on stage, in ear monitors etc. As they are pre-fader, raising or lowering the channel fader won't affect the main audience mix, but the aux send pots will affect the sent signal.

Some mixers have separate send / return jacks.

Others have the send / return on the same jack. So tip sends, ring receives.

Then ... You have groups to send main signal or individual channel strips to other speakers. There are usually switches on each strip. You can send only instrument mix to stage monitors without mic channels preventing feedback for example...or just the music for the guitarist / soloist headphone.

There are many possibilities as You see..

Mixers have usually switching jacks which route audio to the right channel when only the left channel is input.

Before swapping jacks around, You have to make sure they are the same type.
You don't have to unsolder jacks in order to test them. You insert a jack & use the ohmmeter between the jack & the board connections.

A diagram tells You in a simple mode the signal flow & how the stages are inter-connected... the pre-fader / post fader things / EQ before / after etc. Notice for example that channel faders are after the aux sends. There is a switch or pot for this & that before this & that...that routes this & that.

A schematic on the other hand shows You how all the parts are wired and its characteristics along with voltages & other measurements.

Your mixer has knobs, sliders & switches correct ?

Hook up some speakers & jacks.

Fiddle with them and You'll learn how they work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.