Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Studio Projects C1 Condenser Mic fading on and off at random
Studio Projects C1 Condenser Mic fading on and off at random
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2020, 10:46 AM   #1
Paulmongan is offline Paulmongan  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Default Studio Projects C1 Condenser Mic fading on and off at random

Hi Everybody,

I have been asked to take a look at a Studio Projects C1 condenser microphone which is basically not working correctly. After plugging it in, there is no life. Then it starts to hum and come to life where if you tap the mic it is working. When I speak into it, it gives good quality vocal then it cuts out and dies again. It will remain of for a while and then come back on itself.
I have checked the components on the pcb. All seem good. Iíve went over all the solder joints. All are good.
Has anyone here come across the likes of this before? Could it be the capsule?
I attach a few pics.
I am going to replace the J305 Incase it is not working correctly. I have removed it from the pcb to test it. It seems ok but I might replace it anyway. Other than that Iím in need of a little help.

Kind Regards,
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E9A7A7A4-9937-448C-B382-AD720A672005.jpg (1,007.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1F2989D9-5842-49CC-B191-FAC055C8C1A7.jpg (669.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg FC841C6A-EFF7-4C2A-BAE7-125CCD1D3B2C.jpg (783.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 27th June 2020, 01:40 PM   #2
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Chances are the capsule has some moisture in it. I'd recommend allowing the mic to become warm for a while, which should help to evapourate the water. Packing with silica gel packets also helps.

Remember, you should use a pop screen with mics like these, which will help to stop moisture from your mouth getting to the mic capsule.

Chris
Old 28th June 2020, 12:26 PM   #3
Paulmongan is offline Paulmongan  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Chris,
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Heating the capsule up with the heat gun did the trick. It went from no sound at all to full quality audio. Itís actually working very well now. Hopefully it will be ok and last. Iíll keep it in test here for a few days. I didnít have silica Bags but I did put some loose silica beeds in around the capsule. I know it rattles but itíll be ok till I get some bags. Do you have any idea how to clean the capsule? This one is very dirty. I havenít touched it at all. Iím aware itís extremely sensitive.
Thanks again.

Kind Regards

Paul
Old 28th June 2020, 06:10 PM   #4
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Paul,

Cleaning of capsules will require a dedicated clean room etc - well beyond most DIYers and professional services (I only work on dynamic capsules). The likes of Neumann, SE Electronics and a few others have such facilities.

I'm glad the heat worked out for you.

Chris

Studio Projects C1 Condenser Mic fading on and off at randomHide this!Advertise here!