EV EKX SMPS Repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got two EV EKX18SP amplifier boards, unfortunately with the same problem: The previous owner had plugged them in with water in the power plug and the SMPS shorted.

I would like to repair them, however I wasn't able to find any schematics. Unfortunately, the short caused an IC to explode (supposedly the SMPS controller) and a resistor to melt down (I suppose the controller power), so I don't know what types to put there (identical failure on both boards). I suppose that the FET shorted as well, but I haven't measured that yet. The components are on the bottom side of the board.

The boards seem to be similar on the whole EKX series (subs and tops), so I would be glad if someone could shed some light into this.

I'm attaching a picture of the burnt components where I do not know the parts.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• IMG_20190701_214613.jpg
    IMG_20190701_214613.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 494
To follow up on this: I was never able to find the schematics, but I ordered one new board since it was reasonably priced.

Finally, with knowledge about the missing components, I was able to completely fix one of the tow burnt boards. Apart from replacing the failed components, I also had to reconstruct two PCB traces since they were torn off by the melting resistor.

I consider the other one dead because it blows as soon as the speaker is connected.

In all, I still consider this a huge success!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.